Navigate to address issue

Hello,

I recently purchased the TomTom XL IQ Routes UK & Ireland, when using the navigate to address and selecting the "street and house number" option, it has the cities listed and does not have the road names.
This also seems to be the case with the "crossing or intersection" option. E.g. both these options function the same as the "city centre" which is not what I would expect.

The "city centre" and "postcode" options seem to work as expected ok.

I updated my map to the latest without testing the navigate options beforehand so not sure if it has been like this from the start.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks.

So you select "street and house", then you enter then city, then what? Is that it?

From then you should have to enter a road name, then a house number.

I would try resetting the unit. Hold the power button down for 15-20 seconds. If I'm understanding you correctly you are thinking correctly and the device is not working properly...

Thanks for your reply.

I have been playing about with it a bit more and realise this is the normal behaviour, I was expecting to be able to type in a road name then select a city if multiple road names are matched ... think it's time to RTFM!

cheers.

Got same concern

well what if I forgot the name of the city or suburb and the only thing I got is the street name? I was expecting that Id be prompted to key in the house number and street name first as well!

So is that the normal response?

That's a weakness in all TomToms. You have to enter the city before the street.

I don't consider that a weakness. I think it is rather sensible but then that is how it was when (where) I grew up.

It doesn't seem to be overly astute to select Queen St and than have to choose from every city in every province of Canada which to select (substitute Main St for Queen in the States).
No one seems to object that a State or Province must be selected before a city.
That is just a natural progression, just as dates should be written in declining order of importance.

The only time it's a real nuisance is if you're in an area with a lot of smaller towns clumped together and you're asking for the little incorporated burg "just next door" and can't get the address resolved. It would be nice at that point if TomTom would provide the nearest hit to your requested address. It's a big issue in the Denver area (or most other metro areas) where knowing which side of the line your address is on is a problem.

Ask a Question