mounting

Kim

Where is the best place to mount your Tomtom in your car? The dashboard or the windshield? Is there any tricks to doing it, so it stays put?

In my opinion, keeping in mind the criminal elements walking around in parking lots looking for tell tale signs of a GPS in a car, that the best place to mount a GPS is on a VENT. It is easily removed and also not easily visible to a passer by, plus no telltale sign on the windshield.

In my opinion, keeping in mind the criminal elements walking around in parking lots looking for tell tale signs of a GPS in a car, that the best place to mount a GPS is on a VENT. It is easily removed and also not easily visible to a passer by, plus no telltale sign on the windshield.

Is there any difference mounting on the vent then the dash or the window? As far as getting it to stay I mean!

In California it is against the law to attach anything to the windshield (however I've seen plenty of sat-navs fixed this way) I keep mine on the dash with the help of a waited platform by the name of NAVMAT, I can't recall the manufac name but I purchased it online for about $13 (google it for the best price) Target also sell them in California for about $25 They work well even if your dash is not completley flat. I hope this helps

Having used all three methods, i.e. windshield, vent and dashboard nonfriction mat, my preferred is the vent, followed by the mat. However, the pros and cons are personal and depends on your needs.

For me:

Widshield
Pro:
use of standard mount which comes with TT;
in line of sight when driving

Con:
can fall off,
leaves sign of GPS on the windshiled;
may block view;
illegal in some states

Non-friction Mat

Pro:
can be easily placed in different spots on the dashboard;
can be put away without too much of a problem,
in line of sight when driving

Con:
potential for movement or flying back in a very sudden stop or accident;
may be illegal in some states;
cannot use the standard mount that comes with TT,
too short to attached;
may block view

Vent

Pro:
does not block view; legal in all states;
not easily visble to others

Con:
block a/c air;
depending on kind of vent model may move about a bit and require both hands to insert and remove;
depending on model, may not be quick and easy to move to another car

Bottom line, it all depends on what you are looking for, and as in selecting a GPS it is not just one aspect of the product.

Others, feel free to add to the pros and cons of my list, because a good mount is as imporatnt as a good GPS. In my case, I also had a Navigon 7100, which I sold after using it a few times, primarily because I did not like the mount, which to me was too big and visble

I have spent almost as much money on mounts as I did purchasing my nav unit! Windshield, vent, friction, handle bar (for my motorcycle), and in some cases more than one variation on a type. In the end (I hope it has ended!), I made my own custom fixed mounts for 2 of my 3 vehicals. After my own solutions, I liked the friction mount second best and most versital.

I have not yet settled on my final mount but, when I do, I want to make sure it will be somewhere where I will not be bothered by the luminosity of the sun. I presently use the windshield mount but, on very sunny days, with the sun in front, the unit is difficult to read and want to prevent this in my final mount.

Ideally, in my Chrysler Intrepid, it would be on the right side of my speed indicator because of the dash overhand but not sure I could stick the disk there and position the gps adequately? There would be ample place in the middle but would lose sight of the rpm and speed dials... Then there is the over the vents but would need a custom shader on top to make it better.

I've got the suction cup mounted to my dash. little bit less revealing then front window. originally had issues with it sticking. Finally I dampened the suction rim area and pushed firmly on my speedometer cluster area behind steering wheel . I have a little bit older bonneville and where it is mounted does not block any infor mation when driving and the clear plastic smooth surface is ideal for the suction cup....Hasn't come off for a month, and I install and mount the unit to the suction cup several times daily. Best of all I don't have power wires or audio cables coming down from my windshield when the unit is plugged in.

Try Proclipusa. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it mounts beautifully on the dash. Perfect viewing position. A little pricey though.

Ask a Question