Mounting / cradle issues - TT910

TomTom Model(s)
GO 910 & 920
OK, so I've read about people having issues with mounts coming off the windshields... never had a problem since I realized that 2 clicks are needed in order to secure the devise properly.

However, I has problems with the PC cradle straight out of the box. The power cord will NOT stay secured to the cradle... just does not seem to be matched in size. I need to resort to tricks in order for it to stay in place (once the unit is charged, there's really no need for external power for the short duration the TT is hooked to the 'putter, though).

Anyone has seen this problem?

Mounting the TT910 without using the windshield. Honda CRV

After hearing about the California rule that suction cups not legal on the windshield, I spent some time thinking about how to mount the suction cup in my 2004 Honda CRV. Just about all of the surfaces that might be useful turned out to be too flexible or had a finish that would not hold a vacuum for long period. Fortunately the 910 is extremely sensitive and seems to work in areas away from the windshield. I finally discovered that the small door on the storage compartment below the radio, when open is large enough to fit the suction mount and has enough clearance to allow installation and removal without removing the suction cup. However the texture would not hold a vacuum.
I bought a small piece of lexan from Home Depot for a few bucks and cut it down to fit into the back side of the compartment door. This stiffened the door back and give it a polished surface to hold the suction cup. I
I also discovered that in the back of this compartment there is a pop out panel that gives access to a mounting screw for retaining the compartment and also has a path to behind the dash board. I cut a notch in this panel for the power cord. I threaded a piece of lamp cord into the back of this compartment and fished it out of the trash bin below. By taping the power connector onto the lamp cord I was able to bring the power connector and cable into the compartment. Then I replaced the small notched panel where the 910 is installed.
The extra cable length can be stuffed into the trash bin. In fact, the power supply can be placed into the trash bin out of site when not used.
This mounting method allows either the driver or passenger to operate the 910.

I was looking for a thread in this forum that applied to mounting schemes, but this is as close as I could find. It might be useful to have a topic for everyone's solution for their particular vehicle.(especially in CA)​
Bob
PS I have photos of the installation but haven't figured out how to attach them.

Photos of Honda CRV installation

Here are the photos of the previous message.
Bob

Attachments

• DSCN5729small.jpg
    DSCN5729small.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCN5734small2.jpg
    DSCN5734small2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 425
Very innovative solution. Maybe others can find this useful. Thanks for posting the details and the pics.

Ask a Question