Minimise traffic

TomTom Model(s)
Iphone
Hi all

I've recently purchased tom-tom for my iPhone. I find is working well however I've found that when the car symbol in the top right hand corner identifying traffic goes from green to Orange I select minimise traffic and when I go back to the main screen it still shows orange. I then go through and minimise traffic again and still orange and again and again. Sometimes it's may go green.

Can any advise what I should do here? Is it really telling me about different delays and asking me to minimise them each time goes orange? Even though it doesn't go green. If so why can't I just have minimise on.? This would save me having to keep tapping minimise delays every few minutes.

I'm not sure of the point of minimise delays. Sometimes when driving it asks me if I want to change route because there is now a faster route. What is the difference between this and minimise delays?

I don't have an iPhone app. so I'm only going by the manual and from how Traffic works on the TomTom PND's.

But I think you may have the wrong idea about the orange /green car symbol.

When it goes to orange, it doesn't mean you need to manually minimise the delays, it just means there ARE delays on your route.

I think it's best summed up by the phrase I often hear from my TomTom Go.

"The traffic on your route has changed. Delay due to traffic is now X minutes. You are still on the fastest route"

Page 43 of the on-line manual explains the coloured car icon at the top of the traffic bar.

And it goes on to describe the workings:

Taking the fastest route
TomTom App constantly looks for changes in the traffic on your route and checks if there is a faster route to your destination. If a faster route is found, you are asked if you want to use the faster route.
So I would say that normally you never need to manually "Minimise delays" - it's doing it all the time for you.

But I'll admit, it does then go on to say:
To check if you are using the fastest route, do the following:
1. Tap the screen to open the Main menu.
2. Tap Route Options.
3. Tap Minimise Delays
Now, on my Go there is a setting (in "Planning Preferences") to decide what the TomTom does if it finds a faster route - take it automatically, never take it, or ask every time.
So I might say "No, stay on the current route" but then change my mind - that's what I've used the "minimise delays" button for.

But I can't see any mention of that option on the iPhone app. . As far as I can tell, it's always set to ASK you if a faster route appears.

So the same applies to you... you might say "No" and then decide you DO want to try the faster route it's found.

THAT'S all the "Minimise delays" button is there for.

@Andy
Might want to move this one over to "Mobile Navigation". It's a question that other iPhone users would want to consider.

Ask a Question