Milwaukee Map is bad... question about updates

I am "up 2 date" with my US&Canada map, but the MU interchange in Milwaukee (a major midwest city north of Chicago) is about a year out-of-whack.

How often do updates come for maps?

If I buy the "Midwest" map, will it get updated more often? or is US&Canada really a compilation of all the US maps?

Thanks ahead of time. I am a concerned about the web response that I had seen around christmas and also the fact that the map store has been closed for an eternity (so have to use the home deal). I do like the device, but feel (after MKE) that the maps can't be trusted.

--adamg

The NA maps are much more accurate (so some people say). I'm sure if you provide some coordinates, someone on here can show you whether the NA maps are more up-to-date than the USA&Canada maps.
Of they are, until the 31st, they're 50% off via the TomTom UK site (you have to fake being in the UK to purchase them).

Thanks and follow-ups:

Interesting. Misc follow-up questions (and thanks for the quick response):

I've got a TOMTOM ONE "New Edition US-CANADA". Are the "NA" (assuming NorthAmerica) maps supported on my device?

Has it been promised that the "NA" maps is coming to the US/Canada market (I am <kinda/well/somewhat-I-guess> patient)?

Is the delay in the "Map" web presence a result of a change of map provider?

Aside/Related: Is the "New Edition US-CANADA" newer then "3rd Edition"?

I'll go look up some coordinates for MU interchange.

Example Map error

There is no "Wells/Civic Center I43S off-ramp" in Milwaukee anymore; now, Highland Avenue is the closest off-ramp to get to Marquette Univesity.

I am not sure how to read coordinates, but I think it is:

Wells Street {18} 1098
1098 1000
1099 999

(i.e. I am not sure what those numbers mean, but they look coordinate like; I am getting those from browsing my US&Canda map)

Ok, let's see if I can cover everything...
I have no idea which map came with your GPS, but if you hit the GPS signal bars on your GPS and then hit the version button, it should tell you what version USA & Canada maps you have. On mine, it's 710.1575.
If your unit accepts an SD card, you should be able to copy everything from your internal memory to the SD card, and purchase the maps off TomTom's website (fake a UK address). You'll need a 2gig card or a 4gb card, depending on whether you go for the larger or smaller NA map.
Now if I look at Wells St at I43, it does not appear that you can get onto the I43 from Wells... It looks like you have to go to N6th St and take the Kilbourn Tunnel (not sure if that intersects with the I43)?
I do see an onramp from W Highland Ave, but I can't tell if there is an offramp or not. There doesn't appear to be... But I may be reading the map incorrectly.
I'm going to try a screenshot and see if I can paste it on here... ;)

Here are screenshots. The coordinates are in the lower left hand corner...
Again, these are from USA & Canada 710.1575
dump1253330911.jpg

dump1253330912.jpg

Interesting... in TomTom Home, when I look to see if I can update maps, I see that I have:

"US And Canada"...

But a 710 version of "US & Canada" is available for download/purchase. I'll give it a shot and report.

This TomTom stuff really should be cleaner.

looking further my "US And Canada" was 675....

I've purchased "US & Canada" at version 710 which looks correct from your posting and I am currently downloading it.

I first (using HOME):

1. Backed up my tomtom
2. removed "US And Canada" to make room (I don't have an SD card handy)
3. purchased "US & Canada" (annoying that only euros are shown for price)
4. started downloading

wish me luck.

Ask a Question