Memory card Question for Go 730

TomTom Model(s)
I spent close to 8 hours yesterday trying to download the newest map guarentee. My home DSL for some reason was very slow. After 5 hours downloading, it still showed 6+hours to go. So I went to the office. Started download again on a different laptop. After about 30-45 minutes it stopped at 8 minutes left. Internet went down. Brought office laptop home and tried again. Success! BUT, upon copying to the 730 ran out of memory. Deleted foreign voices and tried again. Finally got it copied to GPS.
I have a high speed 4gb memory card in the 730. Is this for music and photos? When I downloaded the newest map, it did not give me any option to download to the memory card. Should other mapping items be placed on the card? After I deleted the foreign voices, and done the download, I have about 208 mb free.
I do backup from the GPS to explorer, and a backup using home. One backup goes to an external hard drive

If you have a sdhc card installed in your unit, when you connect to Home, it should ask which you want to select, internal or external. If you'd selected external, then that's where the installation should go.

But a bug in the latest Home is such that sometimes Home tries to install on internal AND external or internal NOT external when you select external and vice-versa.

Just use Explorer to copy your North_America map folder from internal to the 4-gig sdhc card and you'll be fine. I run my map off a sdhc card for my 720. Allows for great flexibility on both internal & the card.

When I opened home, it did ask which to use, internal or external. I selected external. When it downloaded it went to internal.
So, I copy the map folder from explorer to the SD card. Do I leave the map on the internal drive also?

No, once you double check that the North_America map folder (and its contents, of course) is on the sdhc card, delete the folder from internal.

Your model works fine with maps, mp3s, photos, on the sdhc card... as long as the sdhc card is a reliable brand, a fast speed (class 6 is preferred) and no greater than 32 gigs in size.

Thanks! Got it done. Copied "North_America_2GB" to memory card. Deleted same file from the 730. Freed up a lot of memory on the 730. FYI I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 4gb. I think the speed on it is 100x. Thanks again.

Tom Tom Go 750 Live

"But a bug in the latest Home is such that sometimes Home tries to install on internal AND external or internal NOT external when you select external and vice-versa."

Hmmm ...... that is similar to where I am right now.

Just added a 4GB ultra sandisc mini SDHC card. The device saw it as 3.95GB of free external memory, but now when switch on it sees all as internal memory E- 280MB free and F-3.95MB free. I select the 3.95GB free memory for download, but it seems to ignore that available memory even though I select it and of course the file to download at 2.3GB will not fit into the E-partition !!

How can I get over this as I need a memory area more than 2.3GB to be able to download ..... I in fact have 3.95GB FREE but the device will not let me save it there and is stating not enough memory !!

Help please ...... :)

Also, HOME often ignores your directive on where to put the map, and puts it wherever the application is. Try moving everything on the internal to the SD, then try installing the map. You can move things back to where you want after the map is installed.

Ask a Question