Maps not found

TomTom Model(s)
Fiat Blue & Me 2 Live
Hi Guys.

I am new to this forum having just found it on the web. I am having problems with a Blue & Me TomTom 2 Live which was in my new car I picked up last week.

The unit would not pick up a GPS signal and after searching for some info, found that the application needed to be updated to V11.037. I connected to my PC and it installed a new version but it was V10.839 the device was working fine but according to "My TomTom" there were 2 updates waiting for me to download. Thats when the trouble started.

When I connected to the PC it started to download a file but could not install it, the error message on the PC was "there is something wrong with your device, try disconnecting and reconnecting" it also said my device was up to date whilst also saying there were 2 updates waiting ??

The upshot is the device now only displays "no maps found". A bit of history, I had a new Start 60 a couple of months ago and the same thing happened to it. It was replaced by Halfords and exactly the same thing happened again. It appears every time I connect a TomTom to my PC it all goes wrong. Any idea what the problem could be ?

Thanks

Try clearing the cache in your desktop's icon Settings and see if it is offered again.

I have done that but will try it again. The problem seems to be getting the downloads to install on the device. The "europe" map and "safety camera info" is stored in "my account" under "manage content" but its only when I try to install to the device it all goes wrong ?

I did try emptying the cache again and downloading whatever it is its downloading. That all works fine, its when it tries to install to the device, it comes up with "device not responding" and "something has gone wrong" and the message on the device is "no maps found".

As I said, the map is in my account but the problem is getting it to install. ?

If it happened with a Start as well, that sort of implies a problem with the PC itself , or the USB port, or the actual USB cable you're using.

If you have access to another PC, can you try using different 'everything'?

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if there was a problem with my PC as well, but I have twice updated my Garmin with no issues and use the front USB ports regularly for my digital camera, transferring music and movies onto memory sticks with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

If I were to use another PC how would I be able to get my map ? Would it just be a case of logging into MyTomTom with another email address and using my password or would I only be able to log in with my own email address ? I am not too hot with computers so am not sure how this would all work.

I have only ever used the cables that came with the devices. I will try using another USB port at the back of my PC and see if anything happens. Still waiting to hear from customer services though

Just a thought, but if there was anything wrong with my PC why did it update to V10.839 just after I got it as it would not pick up any GPS satellites ? It updated to that no problem, and it was only when I connected it again a few days later that it all went wrong.

I will try one of the USB ports at the back of my PC first. Thanks.

Computers and TomToms are the spawn of the devil, don't expect them to behave logically!
Just because you can update other things with your Pc is no guarantee that it will enter into the necessary blood pact with your TT too. :)

If you try someone else's computer you'll just have to download and install Home and then log into your TomTom account just like you normally do.

Computers and TomToms are the spawn of the devil, don't expect them to behave logically!
Just because you can update other things with your Pc is no guarantee that it will enter into the necessary blood pact with your TT too. :)

If you try someone else's computer you'll just have to download and install Home and then log into your TomTom account just like you normally do.

:lol: Thats exactly how I feel about them !!

I will try using one of the USB ports at the back of my PC first as thats the easiest option. If that doesn't work I can try my daughters PC which runs Windows XP instead of my Windows 7. Its MyTomTom that my device uses but I know what you mean. I just didn't know if I could use someone else PC and still log into my account with my email address and password.

I will keep you updated with the progress.

Just to let you know that I borrowed my daughters laptop and it installed first time, so the problem must lie with my PC. I dont know what the issue could be, as its a new computer. I will have a word with the guys in the computer shop, hopefully they will have an answer.

Thanks for all your help :thumb:

Glad to hear that everything is now working.

The problem may have been that you said that you are running Windows 7 on your computer and Windows XP on your daughter's computer. Some software written for Win XP will not run on Win 7 unless it is run in "XP Compatibility Mode" - and some will just not run at all on Win 7.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I thought you might be onto something there, my daughters home PC runs XP but I have just checked and her laptop is Windows 7 64bit which is the same as my PC, so that cant be the problem. I will have a word with the computer shop, but it certainly seems a strange one.

I simply swapped over the ethernet cable from my router into her laptop and it worked so the problem cant be with the internet connection either. :confused:

. . . my daughters home PC runs XP but I have just checked and her laptop is Windows 7 64bit which is the same as my PC, so that cant be the problem.

Wish I could remember exactly where I read it but I seem to remember that all Win7 64-bit computers are *not* the same and if true, that could still be the problem . . . :confused: Different manufacturer between your machines?

Hmmm thats even more confusing :confused: The only thing I forgot to mention was that I was using Chrome as my browser whereas hers was IE9, could that have any bearing ?

Hmmm thats even more confusing :confused: The only thing I forgot to mention was that I was using Chrome as my browser whereas hers was IE9, could that have any bearing ?
I've seen people say that the browser made a difference for them, but generally the reports seems to be of problems with IE that were solved by using Chrome or Firefox- exactly the opposite of your situation. Personally, I use Opera, so I do not have first-hand knowledge of the performance of either IE or Chrome. I have heard of success using all of those browsers, and also of people using each of them.who have had problems.

However the bottom line is that something was different that resolved the issue, but even if we are not certain of what that something may be, at least you are now back in operation. If you encounter a similar problem in the future, it may be worth trying IE on your computer in hopes that this is indeed what is needed.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Yes at least its all working now. The next time an update comes in, I will try using IE9 on my own PC and at least if it goes wrong I can recover the map using my daughters laptop. it would be nice to know what caused this though ??

Ask a Question