Map update service Australia - backup

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340
Tom Tom are offering a new map update service (new for Australia)
You subscribe and receive updates four times a year.

My question is - How will I keep backups of my maps. Will I need to do this each time I receive an update.

thanks

John

Tom Tom are offering a new map update service (new for Australia)
You subscribe and receive updates four times a year.

My question is - How will I keep backups of my maps. Will I need to do this each time I receive an update.

thanks

John
All of here strongly recommend that you START with a full Windows (not Home) backup of your entire unit (which will include your map folder), and always make a new backup before upgrading either the maps or firmware from Home. If you have a full backup of your functioning unit on your PC at all times, we can always sort any problems that may arise during map upgrades, etc., or if things go badly for any other firmware related reason. Truth to tell, it's the map folder that is critical, just as you have evidently surmised from reading some of the threads here.

Create a separate folder on your PC, and with your TomTom connected, copy the entire TomTom "drive" into that backup folder. If you hadn't spotted it yet, you'll find your TomTom appears as would a thumb drive or other external storage when you view My Computer.

Thanks Canderson,
I have a full back up using Windows Explorer as recommended on these forums.
Do I need to do a full backup with each map upgrade or just the folder Australia. (Although it is no big deal to do a full backup - less than 300mB)
John

Make a new Explorer backup for the full contents of the unit. It's safer than just backing up the map folder (though that should work too). Remember to name the folder on the computer differently from a previous full backup.

Ask a Question