Map Share no longer supported for my device?

After I updated to the latest TomTom Home v2.3.1.92, I now get the message that TomTom Map Share is not supported for my device or for the map I am using. It used to be part of the package. Why isn't it any longer?

After I updated to the latest TomTom Home v2.3.1.92, I now get the message that TomTom Map Share is not supported for my device or for the map I am using. It used to be part of the package. Why isn't it any longer?

Ummm... something's not right there. They wouldn't discontinue that feature; it's a competitive differentiator for TomTom. Plus I've installed the new TomTom Home and have been sending in MapShare updates. Nothing new to download recently but there's no indication that MapShare is unsupported on my screen.

If you go into TT Home, pull down the Tools menu and select TomTom Home add-ons do you have a new version of the Map Share status indicator available? If so, install it.

Ummm... something's not right there. ...

If you go into TT Home, pull down the Tools menu and select TomTom Home add-ons do you have a new version of the Map Share status indicator available? If so, install it.

I'm showing that I have version 1.3 of Map Share installed.

I had been able to share Map corrections only last week.

I'm showing that I have version 1.3 of Map Share installed.

I had been able to share Map corrections only last week.

I would not be totally shocked if you found that, if trying for mapshares a little later (a couple of hours, tomorrow?), that the functionality is ok, again. TomTom's servers are weird and generate strange methods when communications between them and TTHome become flakely, as they tend to do ... often.

Having said all the above, if you continue to get the same message tomorrow, best to give them a call. As mentioned, something ain't right.

I agree with all.
Since the 715 map is not a one year old map, you should still have mapshare updates.

Here's part of an e-mail I just got from TomTom:

New maps are here

Ever feel the world around you is changing faster than ever? That's because it is! Each year an average of 15% of roads and 20% of Points of Interest change.

Our latest maps of the US and Canada have have hundreds of thousands of new addresses, and greatly enhanced overall address accuracy, road maneuvers and travel restrictions.

Plus, updating your maps ensures that you will continue to get 12 more months of free TomTom MapShare updates from users around the world. Update your maps now

Looks like you have to buy the new map to keep Mapshare.

Randy T

I'm beginning to think mapshare is highly over rated. My brother just bought a new tomtom and when we downloaded the mapshare file on his first connection, NONE of the changes I had made to local maps here (some as far back as last October) showed up on his unit. NOT ONE!

we had the unit set to accept all mapshare from everyone, so I expected to see some of those changes. There is no way all my changes should take this long to filter through.

Here's part of an e-mail I just got from TomTom:

New maps are here

Ever feel the world around you is changing faster than ever? That's because it is! Each year an average of 15% of roads and 20% of Points of Interest change.

Our latest maps of the US and Canada have have hundreds of thousands of new addresses, and greatly enhanced overall address accuracy, road maneuvers and travel restrictions.

Plus, updating your maps ensures that you will continue to get 12 more months of free TomTom MapShare updates from users around the world. Update your maps now

Looks like you have to buy the new map to keep Mapshare.

Randy T
Yes, you have to keep your map current because if you don't, you're just submitting corrections that may have already been resolved.

I'm beginning to think mapshare is highly over rated. My brother just bought a new tomtom and when we downloaded the mapshare file on his first connection, NONE of the changes I had made to local maps here (some as far back as last October) showed up on his unit. NOT ONE!

we had the unit set to accept all mapshare from everyone, so I expected to see some of those changes. There is no way all my changes should take this long to filter through.

You don't say which map version each of you are using, but if you've been making changes since October, and your brother just bought his TomTom, his maps are probably newer than yours. If that's the case, your Map Share changes won't appear as Map Share changes on his maps, since Map Share changes are map-version specific - meaning they will only propagate to people with the same map version as the person who submitted the change.

It's also probable that not enough time has elapsed for your submitted changes to be incorporated into a new map release, or the change hasn't been submitted by enough users for it to be reviewed for addition to the published maps.

Last edited:

Ask a Question