Map file location

TomTom Model(s)
Go930 (NA, NZ, West Europe and OZ Maps) XXL540(Oz Map)
Hi all,

This is a simple question, and I guess I could find out by experimenting with my 930, but since the 930 is working well I don't want to disrupt things.

To the question:

Do map files have to reside on the same drive as TT's OS? If the OS, resident on the inbuilt drive, can find the map files on a loaded SD card, then this would avoid the problem of limited space that the newer Euro and NA maps seem to be generating.

I think I can remove and load an SD card faster than I can select an alternative map through TTs interface, but I'm guessing the OS looks for the map files in the same directory as the OS located.

Thanks

Go930user

On your model, the maps most certainly can reside on a sdhc card (up to 32 gigs in size -- but that's overkill, I think). The faster the class card (6+), the better and make it a reliable brand, not some of that ebay crap.

In fact you can have maps in both locations, internal and sdhc card, if you'd like.

mp3s can also be in both places as long as they reside in a folder called mp3 (all lower case).

You can also manually move maps (the complete folders from one place to the other using Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder).

One thing to be aware of on new downloads is that TomTom Home asks you where you want to put new map downloads (internal memory or SD card) but sometimes STILL gets it wrong and tries to put the map in the wrong (or both!) places.

A couple of alternative ways round that are either:
1. Move the map that is on the internal memory onto a cad, then remove it from the TomTom.
Now Home will be forced to download to the internal memory and you can move them around with Explorer at your leisure later.
This might not be so useful now that many maps are too big for the internal memory anyway.

2. Copy EVERYTHING - maps, system files, everything onto a large SD card and then put that into a card reader on the PC. Home should react exactly as if it was a normal TomTom connected and will then be forced to download to the card only.

Last edited:

Ask a Question