Citymap.dat and citymap.met files....

TomTom Model(s)
GO730T
Map 890 installed these two files: citymap.dat (~43MB) and citymap.met (3KB). They can be found in the NA_2gb folder.

Anybody have any idea what these are for and can they be deleted safely?

The 890 map or the 895 map (as in your sig)?

I'd hold off deleting for now. TT sometimes provides data in new files (from previous versions).

I have all the previous maps from 860 to current and these files first showed up in map 890. They are still present in map 895. Do you know what they are for and can they be safely removed?

I suspect they should NOT be removed. I just looked at a backup I have and one file, being 45 megs in size, must contain important data.

Certainly, you can use Explorer to rename both files to citymap.metBACK and citymap.datBACK.

If your unit ceases to function properly, you know the files, as properly named, ARE needed .........:D

But, just to play safe, make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents as is before you start playing around with renaming files.

Thank you for the information and advice. I guess I will just leave them alone. I was able to fit the larger POI file from Arno on the internal memory by removing one of my computer voices. I'm happy.

They're just getting around to us. Files such as follow have appeared in certain Europe map sets for a while .. couple to add to your collection. Only one is truly obvious:

citymap.dat
citymap.met
housenrs.dat
overview.dat
overview.met

Ask a Question