Map Display ???

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I would like to see map display zoomed out a bit more so I can see the streets around the area I'm driving at without having to manually zooming out.
When I do zoom out to a size I like want the display to show me, the display returns to it's original display.

Depending upon your device it is possible to disable the Auto Zoom feature from within Change Preferences. on the 950 its in Change Preferences/ Advanced Preferences where you can deselect the checkboxes for auto zoom in 2D and/ or 3D mode.
On the x20/ x30 devices the setting is Change Preferences/ Automatic Zooming - Mike

Aren't all the North American GO models, except for the 740, now considered discontinued by TomTom?

Two weeks ago, I still saw 730's for sale (at full price $399) at Best Buy. They still show up on the US Tomtom site.

The 930 has been removed, probably because Tomtom didn't want people to realize what they're giving up when they buy a supposedly "high end" 740.

BTW guys, TomTom seems to be excited about voice recognition suddenly. Look for a better implementation of it in a new 2nd qtr model.

BTW guys, TomTom seems to be excited about voice recognition suddenly. Look for a better implementation of it in a new 2nd qtr model.

About time, looks like I have my new Tomtom upgrade purchase coming in 2Q then :)

Voice recognition = GO model (usually). Hopefull a 950, or (catering to Americans) a 955 with a bigger 5" screen.

I don't know if mp3 players will ever come back, hopefully RIAA hasn't bribed Tomtom to remove them. And I hope TT improves the bluetooth handsfree compatibity. We can only wait and see.

Tomtom did a good job in their CES announcements of getting me to hold off on any purchases until their 2Q lineup.

Tomtom did a good job in their CES announcements of getting me to hold off on any purchases until their 2Q lineup.

Don't you think that might have been their plan?;)

I think you might see some very intriguing models show up a few days before CeBit. And not just from TomTom.

Don't you think that might have been their plan?;)

I know it was... Hopefully it's worth the wait.

But if a competitor releases a cell-probe-based traffic system that has sideroad coverage (eg: HD traffic), then I'm not waiting on Tomtom much longer.

A litttle TomTom foreshadowing.:D On the other hand, Garmin never drops a clue.

Two GPS Questions: CES GPS Review

The Tomtom remark is a little "weak", other brands have pretty usable speech recognition from what I hear. I especially like Magellan's feature where you can scream "Magellan" at it and speech reco turns on so you don't have to touch the screen. Tomtom's just doing marketing spin around the fact that the Tomtom speech recognition in the US is waay waay behind the competition.

It still is pretty pitifull on the PND world that the 2006 Honda Accord had excellent speech recognition (and steering wheel activation) and is over 3 years old. My 2005 Accord had voice commands (but no voice address input). In fact, other than IQroutes, mapshare, live fuel, and maybe ecoroutes (that's a stretch), I haven't seen any useful GPS feature from any brand that wasn't already on the 2006 Acura RL nav.

I'm baiting you Gator.. convince me otherwise...

On the pnd side, the only two that immediately come to mind are Google Local Search, available on just about every connected device, and White Pages lookup, a surprise feature of the Garmin nuLink services and probably just as useful for many as Google Search. The social services starting to appear are "meh".

On the built-in side, there's no car manufacturer that comes close to what Ford is offering, especially with the new MyFord services added to Sync. What they're doing is incredible for a mainstream American automobile company.

On the pnd side, the only two that immediately come to mind are Google Local Search, available on just about every connected device, and White Pages lookup, a surprise feature of the Garmin nuLink services and probably just as useful for many as Google Search. The social services starting to appear are "meh".

On the built-in side, there's no car manufacturer that comes close to what Ford is offering, especially with the new MyFord services added to Sync. What they're doing is incredible for a mainstream American automobile company.

OK, I'll agree with the two connected car services.

And yes, the Sync is amazing. Most importantly, the Sync will stream Pandora to your car. I would buy one today, if it wasn't for that fact that I really did have to "Fix Or Repair Daily" my Ford Tempo growing up. When I dumped it for a new Honda Civic, my Civic's payments were actually less than the monthly repair bills I had been paying on the Tempo. It'll be very very hard for me to trust Ford ever again, but the Sync is really making me think twice.

Last edited:

Ask a Question