Map Card for XL One

TomTom Model(s)
XL One
I have been trying to find a USA card for my XL One without much joy! the reports say they wont load, it is difficult, know one has them etc etc

The simple solution....when in the USA go into your nearest Wallmart and but the cheapest Tom Tom and guess what! you have all the maps you ever wanted

It is cheaper,(well mine only cost $75) more reliable and lets face it you only use it in the USA so no problem...that sounds like the simple answer!

There are several different ONE models, but if you were looking for a map on SD card, it must be the ONE 2nd .. I'm guessing the UK regional version without European maps, and manages on a 1GB SD card.

Right now, it's possible to get an XXL540TM (lifetime maps) pretty doggone cheap. We've seen them as low as $89 recently. Had to peek at your IP address to figure out where you are, but see you are in the UK.

You don't say how long you will be here, so it is very hard to know what it's worth to have a US spec model vs. trying to get a card for your old ONE. There's always the option of picking up a UK map for a more up-to-date unit that you purchase here if you were thinking of upgrading. 1GB won't even begin to hold a US map these days, and you would be able to fit a whole lot more of Europe at one time into an XXL540 than you can your ONE when you get home.

It's a tough call, and needs some decisions based upon time here, and what you'd eventually like to own when you get back. 1GB is actually pretty sizable if you ONLY want UK info on it, but as soon as you branch out a bit ...

But there is no reason for you to have to find a map on SD card!

You can buy one for download from the TT web shop (UK version is here).

AFAIK The original UK ONE XL either had internal memory AND an SD card slot or just an SD card slot.

You can install a downloaded map onto the SD card, but on that model you will need to put all the operating system files on it too. That's pretty straightforward to do if they aren't there already.

A downloadable map of the USA would cost £26.20 ($37.45) or one of the US and Canada £33.70 ($44.95)

Even with the price of buying a new, larger SD card, that's still much cheaper than buying a new one!

Andy -

If our configurator is true, the ONE XL regional (UK-only, for example) came with either 512MB or NO internal memory. Neither of those are going to fly for a U.S. map, so you are certainly right that we're talking SD card for this application, regardless of whether it's from TomTom or downloaded to a purchased blank card.

I also believe that the the external storage on that unit was limited in firmware to 1GB, although I could be wrong, and it's 2GB. Makes a big difference as to what map detail is possible.

The trick MAY be finding an old 1GB SD card (or if we're lucky, a 2GB card) that runs at a decent speed (e.g., Class 4, not one of the old Class 2 or 'no class specified' cards). It's easier to find 64GB SDHC than it is to find a faster 1GB or 2GB SD these days.

Guess what we need to verify is whether the ONE XL can deal with a 2GB card (the best he could do for a U.S. map), and where the heck you'd find a Class 4 version of one of those these days. You know anyone on your side of the pond that can confirm one way or another?

One thing for sure - unlike many other TT models, a ONE XL won't let you use internal and SD card at the same time.

The reason I like the idea of a low cost later model is the advantage of a 5" screen and the IQRoutes feature - which the ONE XL never did get - and the ability to hold a lot of Europe at once (v.s. the ONE XL) when the OP gets home.

What are you guys getting for an XXL IQRoutes Europe over there now? I've seen the U.S. model (XXL540TM) for as little as $89 delivered here recently (£57.36) recently. I suspect that the non-TM version that is actually equivalent to the XXL IQRoutes (the XXL540S) can be had for even less.

I also believe that the the external storage on that unit was limited in firmware to 1GB, although I could be wrong, and it's 2GB. Makes a big difference as to what map detail is possible.

Hi canderson...

This TT help page implies it's capable of 2GB at least.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634

There's a tick in the "SD" column, and above the chart it says "SD tested upto 2GB".

But I know from experience that other models with a tick in the SAME column can also use a 4GB standard SD card (NOT SDHC) if you can find one. They are as rare as hens' teeth, but I picked up a couple a month or two ago.

Wow - haven't seen any of the 4GB SD in ages. That said, with the firmware in a ONE XL, I would give you better than 10:1 odds that a 4 GB won't work properly. Recall that even the more recent GO models did not write correctly to a 4GB until reaching firmware 8.302. The ONE XL is stuck at 8.014.

Still, if you can point the OP to any 2GB Class 4 cards over there, that would certainly be one solution for a 266MHz ONE XL. Class 6 didn't seem to be a big improvement until you get to the 400MHz units.

Xl one us maps

To Canderson Thanks for very prompt reply/answer. The point I was making is that with all the

doubt about "downloading" "card availability" "compatability"etc it was (for me) cheaper by far to buy a new TomTom in Wallmart that does everything I need whilst in the US.

It may not be the most up to date, but for 6/7 weeks it does a great job, and as said it is a lot cheaper and loads less "hassle" than getting it wrong with cards that dont fit/work etc

Thanks

Which model did you wind up buying?

Tom Tom XL

To Canderson

Hi its a Tm Tom XL just a very cheap one, but as said, it does the job and it works!

wellswealth

So you'd already bought one when you posted?
That's what he kinda said right at the bottom of his first post, yeah. We were just arguing the merits of the options.

How was that "far cheaper"? :confused:
Coming up with a compatible card (and avoiding the incompatible ones) and downloading and installing the map takes some time. Could be he values his time more than some of the rest of us!

Ask a Question