Making TT always use a different road for routes.

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 'New Edition'
I have set up a few "Navigate to" routes so far with my new TT. I live in a rural area, and must take a few state and county roads to get to the Interstate. When TT determines the route, it always routes me to a different entrance than what is best for me. Is there a way to make TT always use a particular entrance other than making a road to the improper entrance 'blocked' or using a 'Via to'? It sure would be nice to just have to enter the destination and it always routes me through the ideal interstate entrance.

BTW, I do need to use the road to the improper entrance that it uses on certain occasions, which is why I don't want to block it.

Thanks

Steve

I see this question all the time and ask myself. why are people using their tomtom to navigate where they already know where they are going and how to get there? When I use my tomtom to NE PA from where I live, in SE PA, it directs me to get on the Turnpike in King of Prussia. I know that is not the best way. It is the shortest but not the fastest. If you live near here you know what KofP traffic is like. So I get on in Lansdale. It is farther but faster.

A piece of mapping software will never know the best way for you to take. I only use it to get to a place I do not know.

I see this question all the time and ask myself. why are people using their tomtom to navigate where they already know where they are going and how to get there? When I use my tomtom to NE PA from where I live, in SE PA, it directs me to get on the Turnpike in King of Prussia. I know that is not the best way. It is the shortest but not the fastest. If you live near here you know what KofP traffic is like. So I get on in Lansdale. It is farther but faster.

A piece of mapping software will never know the best way for you to take. I only use it to get to a place I do not know.

You are right! 90% of the time I know where I'm going and the best way to get there, BUT, it is sure fun watching my progress on a moving map! Funny, I also listen to the same song more than once from time to time. Always seem to find something I missed the time before,,, ponder, ponder,ponder,,:eek:

You are right! 90% of the time I know where I'm going and the best way to get there, BUT, it is sure fun watching my progress on a moving map!

True, I do that as well. But once you start going the way you want to go TomTom will catch up.

If I followed the route tomtom tells me to get to work it would take 30 minutes. My way saves 10 minutes by avoiding the bumper to bumper expressway.

So, instead of trying to improve the software so that it could end up benefiting someone who does not know the area, people should just ignore improper or poor routing and just let it be? Also, consider traffic reporting. If the road you whish to use is not included in the initial routing, you would not know about traffic untill the unit finally recalculated a proper route.

Sorry to have become an echo for a common question. I'm working my way through the archives as best I can.

I was just asking if there was a way to set up preferences for "Navigate to....". The suggestion of just using what I know is right and let TT tell a different route, only to ignore it is kinda lame though. It nullifies the estimated time of the trip, the distance of the trip, and any other information TT provides me.

I live in WV. We don't have a lot of interstate access like some other areas of the country. Heck, most of us here haven't even seen an automobile, much less what's in the next holler. But my point is that the variance in distance from one entrance to the next could be considerable. If TT is going to give me all that great information, it's a shame to just have to ignore it. You all that have interstate access every five miles or so may not realize that point, but for me, it's at least 15 miles before I even see an interstate sign. The next entrance is about 25 miles.

I don't want to change the software, I would like it to be "updated" and made better to allow locals to set preferences.

Thanks for all the input.

So, instead of trying to improve the software so that it could end up benefiting someone who does not know the area, people should just ignore improper or poor routing and just let it be? Also, consider traffic reporting. If the road you whish to use is not included in the initial routing, you would not know about traffic untill the unit finally recalculated a proper route.

No, I am not saying that. Unless someone come up with a way for a tomtom to receive constant traffic data and give it artificial intelligence for it to learn the best way to get somewhere by tracking the routes the owner takes the best way to go is the way the driver knows.

For example. I live 8 Miles, actual road miles not as the crow flies, from my office. if i program tomtom to route be there via the shortest or fastest route it will take on the 422 Bypass. The on ramp is a half mile from my front door. If I go that way it will take me 20 minutes on a good day. 30 minutes normally and 45 on a really bad day. If I take the back roads I can get there in 20 minutes every day. It was not like that 12 years ago when I first moved here. There is no way any software, of programmer can track and compensate for that. Yet.

The best computer in on your shoulders.

Sorry to have become an echo for a common question. I'm working my way through the archives as best I can.

I was just asking if there was a way to set up preferences for "Navigate to....". The suggestion of just using what I know is right and let TT tell a different route, only to ignore it is kinda lame though. It nullifies the estimated time of the trip, the distance of the trip, and any other information TT provides me.

I live in WV. We don't have a lot of interstate access like some other areas of the country. Heck, most of us here haven't even seen an automobile, much less what's in the next holler. But my point is that the variance in distance from one entrance to the next could be considerable. If TT is going to give me all that great information, it's a shame to just have to ignore it. You all that have interstate access every five miles or so may not realize that point, but for me, it's at least 15 miles before I even see an interstate sign. The next entrance is about 25 miles.

I don't want to change the software, I would like it to be "updated" and made better to allow locals to set preferences.

Thanks for all the input.

TomTom will recalculate based on the route you have chosen. If tomtom suggests a right turn and you go left it will adjust the eta and route you have chosen. Sometimes it will have turn around or try it's hardest to get you back the way it "wants" you to go. My brother's $2000.00 Volvo navigation system has the same "flaws" as my tomtom as far as navigating. My tomtom was 10% of the cost and I can move it from car to car and my boat.

Man, I worked in the KoP Plaza for five years...I hated Christmas for those five years...:D

My point was meant to be:

For me to get virtually anywhere from where I live, I need to pick up the interstate to get there. Short trips of 35 miles to work usually doesn't involve TT. Most anywhere else might, but each time, it routes me to a distant connection. I nearly always use the same intersection to the interstate. It's a pity I can't weight that way a little more than what TT uses.

It essentially starts off every place I go in the wrong direction.

My point was meant to be:

For me to get virtually anywhere from where I live, I need to pick up the interstate to get there. Short trips of 35 miles to work usually doesn't involve TT. Most anywhere else might, but each time, it routes me to a distant connection. I nearly always use the same intersection to the interstate. It's a pity I can't weight that way a little more than what TT uses.

It essentially starts off every place I go in the wrong direction.
There isn't a GPS on the market that's better than the human brain! :D

There isn't a GPS on the market that's better than the human brain! :D

Very true.

But some do a BETTER job than others at routing. I think it's a very valid question.

I smile to myself at times (yeah, yeah, halfway to the mad house I know) - because I figure somehow if I kepp going the logical way, the dmaned thing MUST eventually realize that it's stupid damned route is bad and start to learn to use mine. :)

PS my wife just follows her C330 blindly, and it damn well leads her pretty logically. REALLY pisses me off.

But I'm done shouting about this now, as I know it's getting boring. :)

I smile to myself at times (yeah, yeah, halfway to the mad house I know) - because I figure somehow if I kepp going the logical way, the dmaned thing MUST eventually realize that it's stupid damned route is bad and start to learn to use mine. :)

I guess to do that you'd need a Bluetooth trasmitter implanted in your brain!!! :D

Ask a Question