Live tracking with Bluetooth and URL GET?

So, I have had my first TomTom for all of 2 days, and am already looking for ways of adding features. :) The Rider is great by the way, and with Bluetooth module for my StarCom1, I am set.

Anyway, I got the TT to use my Verizon e815 (hacked with DUN and OBEX) and the Weather updates work great. Traffic does not, but it seems TomTom does not offer that in the US.

Since this thing can obviously access the internet, and I think the Buddies stuff works too, though I have no buddies :), I figure there must be a way to right a script or tool that when on would send your lat/lon to a url. I could handle the whole web script handling side of things, I just have no idea where to begin to write a tool that would GET to a url: (ie. http://www.somewebsite.com/whereami.php?lat=W117.2222&lon=N34.0000) The ideal would be an small tool that ran in the background and sent this url at some specified interval.

I have downloaded Tripmaster 1.6, but do not have the usb cable with me here to install it. It seems like this would be a nice addition to that, but any way of doing this would be cool.

Reading through these forums, you all are doing some pretty cool things...

I have a Motorola Q with Verizon but the newest motorola software disabled the DUN hack for the Q, so I'm paying Verizon for the data plan and Traffic is working. Make sure you call tomtom to activate your Traffic trial and you should be good to go using your DUN hack.

Yea.. I have been on hold with TomTom now for the second time. The first lasted 20 min before I was disconnected, and now for over 22 min. I am trying to contact them to activate the Traffic service... Ouch... Really hope I don't need to call them very often.

I have done more browsing and searching, and still can't seem to find anyone who has even tried live tracking with a TomTom. Crazy, since it is so close to having this built in. I will report back here if anyone is interested. I may have to figure out what is needed to write something to make this happen.

When I activated my TT Plus account on my new ONE, I didn't have to call TT Support to activate it.
The way I did it was connect my TomTom to HOME and turn on virtual tomtom. I went to the preference page where is says to edit your TomTom plus account. I entered my TomTom Email address and password and it activated TT PLUS.

If you go to the preference page and find the edit your tomtom account while not using HOME, it will first ask you to pair with your phone if you haven't done so.

I have done a little more searching, and looking into what it required to write an app for the TomTom. I am not finding definitive answers on an SDK for the Linux based units, only the Windows Mobile kits. I also have found no reference to any 3rd party app utilizing the bluetooth data connection. If anyone can point me to any 3rd part app that proves that data connections over the bluetooth phones, (like weather or the buddy feature) works, then I will see about writing a tool to do this. I have the server resources to setup a community site where people could post there current location in real time like the Plus Buddy tool, but where people could see it on a website rather than needing to be a TomTom Plus buddy user. This would be fun.

you would make it secure? I have enough stalkers already....
I did find a wiki once on what you're looking into but I never bookmarked it. Just surfing/searching and I came across it. didn't think much about it at the time. now I regret not saving it.

So, I have had my first TomTom for all of 2 days, and am already looking for ways of adding features. :) The Rider is great by the way, and with Bluetooth module for my StarCom1, I am set.

Anyway, I got the TT to use my Verizon e815 (hacked with DUN and OBEX) and the Weather updates work great. Traffic does not, but it seems TomTom does not offer that in the US.

Since this thing can obviously access the internet, and I think the Buddies stuff works too, though I have no buddies :), I figure there must be a way to right a script or tool that when on would send your lat/lon to a url. I could handle the whole web script handling side of things, I just have no idea where to begin to write a tool that would GET to a url: (ie. http://www.somewebsite.com/whereami.php?lat=W117.2222&lon=N34.0000) The ideal would be an small tool that ran in the background and sent this url at some specified interval.

I have downloaded Tripmaster 1.6, but do not have the usb cable with me here to install it. It seems like this would be a nice addition to that, but any way of doing this would be cool.

where can the hack for the e815 be found?

n/m... Google is my friend... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=e815+DUN+hack

Im already writing this for the PDA versions, perhabs it can later be ported. I already have the nmea stream server setup for the pc. The only problem im having is getting the winsock up and running over evdo, simply because winsock doesnt exists for the pda, so im looking at alternatives at the moment.

TT Plus Buddy User vs APRS

...I have the server resources to setup a community site where people could post there current location in real time like the Plus Buddy tool, but where people could see it on a website rather than needing to be a TomTom Plus buddy user....

wifi, Amateur Radio operators (HAM's) have been using such a system for years; it's called APRS - Automatic Position Reporting System. You must be a licensed HAM radio operator in your country of residence to access and use this worldwide service. Anyone can monitor the system using a scanner (radio), a PC and APRS software available on the internet - it's real simple to do too! :D

With a little studying and a multiple choice exam anyone can become a licensed amateur radio operator. Anyone interested can do a search of AMATEUR RADIO on the internet for any/all particulars regarding this hobby/service. :)

Mike L.

Ask a Question