It's Never Done That Before!

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd, GO 720
Sooo, I work evenings for the US' largest pizza delivery company, which puts me in & out of my car, constantly. I've had this 3rd edition ONE for nearly a month & it's always 'gone to sleep' (screen blank) when the car's engine shuts off--the cig lighter is switched.

Tonight, however, it's been repeatedly 'waking itself up' about five seconds after I start the engine??! (Although, a couple of times, it was noticeably longer, possibly related to heavier acceleration & alternator output...)

Is the expected behavior? Or was there a recent software update? ..or some sort of battery burn-in? :confused:

I've never seen it do this before--I've always had to tap the screen to manually awaken the unit. On many deliveries, it's slept through the entire round trip.

Not that I'm complaining...this "missing feature" was in my Wishlist's Top Three!

R?

Sooo, I work evenings for the US' largest pizza delivery company, which puts me in & out of my car, constantly. I've had this 3rd edition ONE for nearly a month & it's always 'gone to sleep' (screen blank) when the car's engine shuts off--the cig lighter is switched.

Tonight, however, it's been repeatedly 'waking itself up' about five seconds after I start the engine??! (Although, a couple of times, it was noticeably longer, possibly related to heavier acceleration & alternator output...)

Is the expected behavior? Or was there a recent software update? ..or some sort of battery burn-in? :confused:

I've never seen it do this before--I've always had to tap the screen to manually awaken the unit. On many deliveries, it's slept through the entire round trip.

Not that I'm complaining...this "missing feature" was in my Wishlist's Top Three!

R?

You sure you don't have it set to blank the screen between instructions?

I did press the reset button this weekend, so settings could have changed out from under me... but that's not the observed behavior: it was auto-waking up & staying on (upwards of 20 mins), until the engine was cut off. Throughout part of this time, destinations were set (or held over from prior trips). During this time, the device was charging, but never fully charged.

I should add that when I drove to my other work (in my other car) this morning, the device did Not auto-wake up. I had to resort to manually tapping the screen after several minutes of driving. Last evening, it was auto-On within 5-10 seconds. I'll re-test in my delivery vehicle, tonight. :confused:

Display Settings (none were changed by the Reset)
Turn off Map Display: Never
Dim Backlight: Never
Battery Saving: Always Turn Off

TomTom One, 3rd Edition
App 7.166 (8497/080109) OS:2332
29 MB RAM (free: 3.6 MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5001
Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v720.1802
Language: English UK

Very confused.

R?

R?

My guess is the battery is shot and its mainly running off the cigar lighter.

Nice hack.

My guess is the battery is shot and its mainly running off the cigar lighter.

Nice hack.
I was able to figure it out, thanks to your suggestion. You were very close, and technically, it's still a hack. :D

Here's what's going on:
Even though the Battery Saving preferences showed, "Always Turn Off," the Reset had actually changed the internal state to, "Never Turn Off."

Early in the evening, I happened to notice that the display didn't sleep, after the engine was shut off. A check of the battery showed it to be ~60% full. This persisted throughout several deliveries. Tonight was a slow night, so the battery began to lose ground. It was down to ~40% when I checked a bit later.

Then, following a particularly slow period, the unit's battery drained almost completely. This was only possible due to the ONE's abysmally short charge lifespan & resulted in the unexpected behavior: within a few seconds of starting the engine, enough power was provided to "bring back it to life," where upon it stayed awake ("Never Turn Off") all throughout the trip. Afterwards when the engine was cut, the battery immediately drained down, shutting off the display. On the following deliveries, it was: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Changing the Battery Saving prefs away from & back to "Always Turn Off" returned the unit to its normal behavior. The battery appears to be fine. It held a charge all throughout the day. I'll see how it holds one tomorrow...

Nice hack, indeed! This is probably terrible for the battery. I shudder to think about potential burn-in damage, over prolonged usage. ;)

R?

Last edited:

Ask a Question