It's DEAD...Jim! Emerging battery circuit problem.

Apparently there is a growing trend toward premature battery failures on Ones that predate the version 3 units. So says TomTom support.

My One V2 was happily charging up and discharging normally a week ago. About 4 days ago, I noticed that the battery charge indicator was warning me that the charge was nearly depleted. Had I left the unit on somehow? Nope!

An overnight charge seemed to get the unit back to normal. However, as soon as the cable was disconnected, I could see the level dropping rapidly. Additionally, the back of the device felt quite warm. I connected the cable again and started the charging process for a couple of hours. When I disconnected the cable once again, the indicator fell immediately. Last night, the One was stone cold dead and no amount of charging and resetting was helping.

The nice support person I spoke to today hinted at a pattern of failures for the serial numbered/date coded units prior to the version 3 build. She didn't know the cause, but she didn't spend any time asking questions or making me jump through any testing hoops. The RMA'd unit is already on its way to Texas for repair or replacement.

Note... If you have a SiRFFIII chip set equipped One, and you want to stay with that technology, be sure to indicate to the RMA service person that you want your unit repaired...or replaced in kind. Though the RMA-desk person I spoke to assured me that I would get a repair or exact replacement, I was cautioned by the preceding Tech Support person to very specifically make my wishes known. So was it said... So shall it be done...
:cool:

Last edited:
Got it at Circuit City - June '07

Yeah same here.
How long have you had the ONE?
Since June '07.

Also, a new mount is on its way. A crack in the suction cup, just under the tab, is preventing the mount from adhering. I'm not sure if it was a manufactured defect, or if it is stress related. The support person didn't seem surprised.

I have a 3rd Edition and after one month my battery is dying, as soon as i pull out the car charger, the flashing red battery icon comes up, even if it has been on charge for over an hour. I'll give the customer service people a shout.

It's BACK! It Works! But WHAT A HASSLE getting activated.

Well, I have to say that TomTom's turnaround time was VERY QUICK. I mailed the dead unit from Oregon to Texas on 10/23/2007 via USPS Priority (with signature confirmation). Today, 11/01/2007, the FedEX truck arrived with the repaired/refurb'd unit. I didn't notice any new cosmetic issues. Woohoo!

The first turn-on was quite another experience.

I popped in the SD card, pressed the "On" button and was presented with a notice that the unit needed to be activated. I was prompted to log into www.ttcodes.com and to have my Device Code and Product Code at hand.

The process went smooth, with each input approved by the online process. However, the first time I input the provided Activation Code into the device, I was notified that the activation was not valid for "North_America". Huh?:confused:

Long story short... After spending about a half an hour on the phone with a nice person named Shelly at TomTom Technical Support, we figured out that the 6.75 map required a new product and activation code. Once I entered those, the process concluded successfully and my unit is fully up and running. Yee Haaaa!

One word of caution from Shelly... Don't leave your unit to charge from your PC for more than 4 hours at a single time, and if possible...ONLY charge once a week. TomTom has seen a lot of units that have DEAD batteries that cannot be resurrected. The current crop of lithium-ion (li-ion) batteries that are used throughout their product line, have a particular intolerance to overcharging. I got that message LOUD and CLEAR!

There is peace in the valley again...
:p

Last edited:

Ask a Question