It's dead Jim...

I think it's dead Jim...

Short Version
My 700 won't boot. It is visible in a disk utility but not in any other way. TomTom Home cannot see the Tom. Screen, batt, cpu, and sound seem okay. I suspect a hard drive issue.
Does anyone know if I can reformat the TomTom as a Unix File system disk and then restore the software via Home? Or does formatting still leave me dead due to a lack of drivers?

The Gory Details
My 700 just stopped working in the middle of a trip. I can get it to reset, I get the drum-roll, and I get to the screen "TomTom Go 700" without a problem. If I plug it into my PC, I can get the hard drive icon to flash a few times. After that it's just stuck.

TomTom Home on the PC (XP-Pro) says there is no TomTom attached. I called TomTom who got me to try a flash reset program which just went in a loop and couldn't seem to do anything. The TomTom does not show up in "My Computer."

Since the sound and video seem to be fine, I am guessing dead hard drive. So, just for kicks I took it home and plugged it into my Mac (which does not have TomTom Home in it) but it would not mount there either.

I tried Apple's Disk Repair/Formatting software which does in fact show the TomTom drive and even knows the correct size of the drive. This leads me to believe I have a booting issue that may just be a crash that I can fix by formatting and restoring from Home.

If I reformat the drive as a Unix Drive, assuming the HD has no phiscal faults, would it then mount so I can do a software restore via Home? If not, any other suggestions before I let TomTom bill me to fix it?

Many thanks in advance,

Corey

Ask a Question