IQ2 with long trips

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
I know IQ2 takes into account the day and time of travel for the fastest route but how does it handle this for very long trips. For example, if I have a 6 hour trip and leave my house at 8am. Does it pick the fastest route for 8am for the entire commute or is it smart enough to know it will be much later in the day towards the end of the trip? Just curious if I need to redo the routing along the way to refresh the IQ2s calculations.

It takes into account the changing time throughout the trip.

I've routed from Boston to New York, leaving at rush hour, and it went through New York in non-rush hour mode (eg: take the cross bronx). If I leave earlier it passes through NY at rush hour mode.

So then I assume it might recalculate your route if you stop for a long breakfast?

Only a half-serious question;)

I think so. If I plan a route and don't move, every now and then the voice says "numerical time 8:30 am, you are still on the fastest route" (or the new current time). I think it says this every time the arrival time becomes more than 5 minutes different from what it used to be.

I have the "auto reroute based on traffic conditions" preference, so that could cause it as well.

So I'm not sure exactly what is causing it to say this, traffic or IQ, haven't really cared because IQ is so accurate that I'm rarely off more than 5 minutes from its estimated arrival. It's never said anything like "your route has changed", it may reroute silently or I never happened to be in a situation that my wait caused the route to change.

Ask a Question