XLIQ2 - flashing red circle white cross & pc not recognise device

TomTom Model(s)
XL2 IQ routes
I was happily driving home using TT when all of a sudden it froze then flashed up a red circle with a white cross. I have turned it off/on, have reset, have tried to follow various advice regarding this issue but if I connect device to the pc the pc is not recognising it so I seem to be stuck in limbo. I am not a tech head and dont know where to go from here. I have tried telephoning TT but left hanging on hold in a que for so long I gave up, same with chat support.

Anyone out there got any ideas that can talk me through a step by step idiots guide to solve this problem.

Are you using the cable that came with the device and are you using a usb port on the back, not the front of the computer?

Are you using the cable that came with the device and are you using a usb port on the back, not the front of the computer?

yes am using the cable that came with the device. I have a netbook and have tried all available usb ports.

Having browsed this forum I found another thread with similar problem (although different model device) some had attached a zip doc of USBDreview, if I open this with my device plugged in it shows "yes" under the connected colum, if I then unplug device it changes to "no" so something somewhere is recognising something!!!

Couldnt follow rest of advice on other thread as the person it was directed to had a "no" under connected ...

after I plug device into pc and turn it on, the "please wait" legend appears with a picture of a device, then the "please wait" disappears and I am just left with a pic of the device. As the USBDeview shows that device is connected and even shows that device has been connected today, I suspect what I am missing/cant see is the "do you want to connect to pc yes/no" on the device. I have tried randomly touching screen just incase the option was there but I just cant see it but no, it was wishful thinking.

Please can someone help??? I have now spoken with TT support via Chat but tbh I got no other advice or help than had I just searched the FAQ section of the website. They want me to send device into them which I will do if it really is not possible to sort out without sending it away.

I find it crazy that so many people seem to have this problem with devices, we have an old (and I mean old, like 10yrs!!) TomTom and that has never ever given us any grief, I got given the XL as a birthday present as the old device is so out of date it was cheaper to buy a new device than update the old one. New device is only about 14mnths old!

Have you tried resetting the device by holding the power button for about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole?

device has reset hole and have tried this many times now to no avail

if it is any help/use I do have previous back up file.

????????

Okay, well, if it does connect to the computer and you DO have a backup, try this:
1. Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
2. Connect to Home and an application should be offered. Install and disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if that helps.........

If not, then format the unit, don't use quickformat. (You DO have the backup, right???)

Then restore your backup and see if that helps.

going to ask stupid questions now, I really am not very techy at all when comes to this kinda stuf.

Where do I go to delete all the loose files in the root o the unit? I am guessing this is on my pc????

Thus far I have not been able to connect to home, if I plug device into pc it still show "device not connected" BUT if I do the USBDeveiw thingy it says device IS connect, i I unplug whilst this is still on screen it shows as not connected. So, if I have deleted all the files as stated above will I then be able to connect to home???

Sorry but I really do need an idiots guide to this stuff, I dont know what I am doing and it worries me that I will do something wrong and make the problem worse! Yes I do have back up, I have even opend the file "backup" to check there is actually stuff in it and there is.

If you cannot connect to Home, I'm afraid you won't be able to delete the files. They are on the unit, NOT on the pc.

Thus far I have not been able to connect to home, if I plug device into pc it still show "device not connected" BUT if I do the USBDeveiw thingy it says device IS connect, i I unplug whilst this is still on screen it shows as not connected. So, if I have deleted all the files as stated above will I then be able to connect to home???
I provided the USBDeview for just this sort of situation. It's already giving us some useful information, but I'd like a bit more.

First, are you saying your PC does recognize your TomTom as an external drive? Are you able to open it up like a drive and view the file contents on it?

When you run USBDeview, does it show in the first column your "Device Name?" Does it show "Device Type" as Mass Storage? And WAY over on the right (you will have to scroll unless you have an unbelievable monitor!) what do you see for the "Instance ID"?

All of this is to sort out two things ... why the unit is behaving badly, and why Home wouldn't be able to work with it.

If you cannot connect to Home, I'm afraid you won't be able to delete the files. They are on the unit, NOT on the pc.
Not necessarily. I've seen situations where the PC could see the device as a drive, but Home wasn't being invoked when the device was connected. That said, he could delete the files under those circumstances, but he'd never get Home to give him the firmware again -- a chocolatey mess.

after I plug device into pc and turn it on, the "please wait" legend appears with a picture of a device, then the "please wait" disappears and I am just left with a pic of the device. As the USBDeview shows that device is connected and even shows that device has been connected today, I suspect what I am missing/cant see is the "do you want to connect to pc yes/no" on the device.

As you say, you'd normally expect get the "do you want to connect to computer" screen, but I've got one TomTom where I never do. The screens end up looking exactly as your description, but it *is* connected, and I can browse the storage with Windows Explorer fine.

Have you looked in Windows Explorer (or "My Computer" - they are much the same thing) to see if the TomTom appears along with your other disk drives,? It might not be called "TomTom, but a new drive letter should have appeared.
Your main hard disk is usually "C" and any CD or DVD drives come next and the TomTom will usually be given the next highest letter in the alphabet.

If it's not there, have a look in Windows Device manager to see if it gets listed there under USB and see if there are any errors and alerts.

To get to device manager on my PC (Windows XP) its Start menu / Settings / Control panel / System / "Hardware" tab / Device manager.
Sorry if you've mentioned that already, I'm in a rush....

Ask a Question