Do you drive full time with tt one to better improve IQ2?

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340s
Would this be helpful with IQ2? I always program the tt no matter where I go so the GPS will log my driving speeds, time of day, and day of week. I figured it just might improve IQ routing.

Im I wrong in thinking this?

Happy 4th and safe driving....

Nope..........you are correct in your thinking.

When you connect to Home, any data logged since your last trip using TT gets uploaded automatically.

Do I have to designate a route all the time (fastest route) or just have it on showing my current position (for the logging to work).

It considers the speed you are going and the time of day you are going on a given road......

So, if you pick the 'shortest' option and are driving 70 mph at say, 10 am, when the default speed for that road is 50, that is the kind of info that gets uploaded.

It considers the speed you are going and the time of day you are going on a given road......

So, if you pick the 'shortest' option and are driving 70 mph at say, 10 am, when the default speed for that road is 50, that is the kind of info that gets uploaded.

But must I have a POI selected for the logging to work? Or can I just have it on.

Uncle Tom,

I turn my tomtom on almost every time I drive, no matter where I am going for the same reason. I don't always enter a destination. I urge everyone with a tomtom to turn on anonymous data collection and always drive with their gps on.

I called tt for some additional questions and they too confirmed that leaving the unit on will help them gather accurate drive data. No destination needs to be selected, just have it on and it will log the driving conditions.

nice..

Actually, I think I read somewhere that you have to have a route planned for your device to record and upload the data.

If it logs travel stats like other devices I'm familiar with, no destination needs to be set. No assurance that is what TT has done, but it wouldn't make sense to do otherwise.

As a side note, it's only a matter of time before some smart attorney subpoena's someone's tracklog from TomTom (or direct from a Garmin or other logging device) to indicate someone's whereabouts in a crime or civil trial, or perhaps their speed preceding an accident.

I found where I got my info. This does not mean that the info is correct.

Whenever you calculate a route on your TomTom, and then drive that route, the device compares the time it estimated the drive would take you with the actual time the drive took. The data is saved, and then with your permission transfered to TomTom via HOME. TomTom collects that data from you and thousands of other users and builds up a profile of each road segment, for each hour of the day

TomTom IQ Routes GPS Review

And in the next paragraph it says exactly what the tt technician told me on the phone, that you dont need a destination for IQ to record your travel. Just leave it turned on and go.

"Now the device can take a look at the time of day, day of week, and the time it actually took other drivers to pass that road segment. This data is then used to calculate the most efficient route based on the time of day, day of week, and the road network."

I leave my Tomtom on all the time even when I know where I'm going - just to improve IQroutes.

I checked the statlog files discussed here, and they were generated by walking around my house, without setting a route.

So I would presume that the IQroutes data gets uploaded whenever the Tomtom is on, not just when a route is set.

Ask a Question