iPhone Kit, USB, and Car Stereo

I guess this would be a "would this work" post...

Currently I have a Sony stereo with a USB connection to my iPhone 3Gs for playing music from the iPod and Pandora.

I have ordered the TomTom iPhone car kit, and was wondering if hooking the car kit to the usb connection on the stereo would work.

2 Questions:
Would the usb on the car kit work as a pass-though and allow the phone to interface with the Stereo.
Could doing this damage the stereo, car kit, or phone?

Thanks
Holt

It doesn't work as a pass-through. It's because the car kit is a USB accessory for the iPhone. As far as I can tell, it puts the iPhone into USB host mode, which means it cannot be hooked up to any other USB host at the same time (PC, stereo, etc).

You won't damage it, but all it will do is provide power... and odds are it won't provide enough power. The carkit will easily drain 600mA from the car power adapter, and USB only provides 500mA.

I guess this would be a "would this work" post...

Currently I have a Sony stereo with a USB connection to my iPhone 3Gs for playing music from the iPod and Pandora.

I have ordered the TomTom iPhone car kit, and was wondering if hooking the car kit to the usb connection on the stereo would work.

2 Questions:
Would the usb on the car kit work as a pass-though and allow the phone to interface with the Stereo.
Could doing this damage the stereo, car kit, or phone?

Thanks
Holt

Charging might be an issue do you know the output of the USB on the Sony. If the Sony has an AUX in then you will have no issues and full music control and volume control. The car kit and the iPhone hook via BT, no problem here. Hook the AUX out of the car kit to the AUX in of the Sony. With the raid set to AUX you will get music from your Iphone, when directions come on it can be set to either lower or mute the volume of what is playing so you can hear the directions. The radio must be set to AUX and the source for music must be the iPhone. This is the way I am doing it with my Ford SYNC system.

Ask a Question