Idea for a new mount for the Tomtom

TomTom Model(s)
one xl - s
Just in case anyone wants an idea for a different kind of mount and get away from suction cups.

The idea is to modify and mate the suction cup mount to a cupholder pedistal mount. The web has many sites where you can purchase a cellphone cupholder pedistal mount---mostly used for cupholders in golf carts I think. The pedistal mounts sell for $12 to $25 and all appear to be alike when viewing their photos.

I have a pedistal mount and removed the upper platform from the lower section ----it is just keyed on. Then I cut the suction cup off of my suction cup mount that came with my Tomtom one xl-s.

Then I drilled a small hole in the suction cup holder arm and with a small nut and bolt I attached it to the pedistal mount at the point where the pedistal mount swivels ---- there is a small bolt at that point.

I then lined the inside edge of my auto cupholder with one inch strips of velcro and also around the bottom edge of the pedistal mount. However I did have to remove the "legs" from the pedistal mount to come up with a flat bottom. None of the modifications were difficult and only takes a few minutes.

An optional way to stabilize the mount and do away with the velcro would be to attach the mount to the cupholder using a couple of self taping screws threaded through the pedistal base and slightly into the cupholder base. I still may mount mine this way ---- that would be fairly easy to do and the mount would be semi-permanent and extremely stable.

This mount works great and is stable and will not fall over or wobble. The Tomtom sits within a couple of inches of my right knee and is readily visible.

This idea is for those of you who, like me, probably hate suction cup mounting for anything --- especially a sebsitive piece of electronic gear.

Last edited:
Need new batteries for my digital camera ---- will plan on posting a photo if enough folks are interested.

Just what I was talking about.

However I found that the pedestal with the two legs attached was not stable in my cupholder. The cupholder has a "locking arm" that squeezes against a drink cup or can and did not apply necessary pressure against the pedestal mount ---- therefore the need to remove the pedestal legs and hold the mount with either velcro or screws.

In any case this is a much better way to mount the Tomtom in my opinion.

Already been done. When I was looking for something to put my TomTom on, I found one that can be put on a cup holder.

I don't know what version your TomTom is but this is for the TomTom One XL S

http://www.semsons.com/cuphomoforto.html

Semsons has great prices and ships fast with tracking number and follow up to make sure you received your purchases and are 100% satisfied. I have used them a lot and will continue to do so.

Good to know. I am thinking of getting this.

http://www.semsons.com/toonexlxlsfr.html

Looks good.

I got two of these http://www.semsons.com/damowiswtinu2.html

I use one in car and the other on my desk. I put the unit on the one on the desk when I'm charging, updating and changing stuff on it. Better than just laying it there. Your mount would do the same. Just sit it on the desk. Bring it in and out of the car and you don't even need to remove it from the mount.

Ask a Question