I upgraded TomTom910 to 40GB!

Well since I couldn't find anyone brave enough to upgrade there tomtom's on here and mine was on the fritz anyway, I decided to take the plunge and try upgrading my HD to a bigger one. I actually tried contacting TomTom to see if they would repair my unit. They wouldn't (wtf?). I was getting a buzzing noise from my car speakers connected to the line-out after a few peoples hands kept trying to unmount the unit from the dock. The pin connectors weren't making a solid contact with the mount so I said fckit... lets take this thing apart.
Anywho, carefully took everything apart and found the HD was a Samsung 1.8" and so I went and looked around to upgrade the HD. I finally found the right one with the same exact specs (be sure to make sure everything matches, power consumption, size, they do vary as well...) 40GB that Samsung manufactures. Others might work, but I wanted to make sure. Anyways needed to purchase a couple of other adapter's to make the drive USB readable. Formatted with HP utility (the newer version) to fat32 and copied all the info over. Threw it back in and rebooted. Everything worked! I now have 30GB of space for music instead of the wimpy 10GB they give you. So just thought I'd share. You can also update the battery to a newer longer lasting battery (well 2600 mAh instead of the 2400 it comes with). Word of advice to anyone trying this... t.a.k.e y.o.u.r t.i.m.e and you'll have a real music jukebox to play with on your tomtom :)

Last edited:
Upgrade and connections on the 910 GO

OK, you have had a couple months to check it out. Is everything still working good? How much expense was involved with your upgrade? What did you do about the pin connections? I think TomTom should do something about this problem! They seem to forget their previous customers that got them where they are now!
Thanks

Ask a Question