i have a big problem

hi,i buyed a gps tomtom one iq routes from spain,today when i turned him on ,was a flashing cross on display,i formated him,but i forgot to backup the files,i need a software and a map with 42 countries,i can download them free? from where? pls answer me WHAT I HAVE TO DO???????

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF!

Make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents

Then remove all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents

Connect to Home and you should get offered an application. Download and install.

Disconnect the unit from Home properly using the Device Disconnect icon in the bottom right of the screen.

Turn off the unit and restart it.

Any better?

hi,i buyed a gps tomtom one iq routes from spain,today when i turned him on ,was a flashing cross on display,i formated him,but i forgot to backup the files,i need a software and a map with 42 countries,i can download them free? from where? pls answer me WHAT I HAVE TO DO???????

Welcome to TTF!

Make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents

Then remove all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents

Connect to Home and you should get offered an application. Download and install.

Disconnect the unit from Home properly using the Device Disconnect icon in the bottom right of the screen.

Turn off the unit and restart it.

Any better?
well,he installs an aplication with the size of 24 mb,and thats all,the gps says me he hasnt any map,next????

Unfortunately, if you formatted it WITHOUT a backup, you will have to buy the map again.

try returning it to the place you bought it then.........

i am in another country now,y bought this gps,i cant download a map for free???if a am remembering well was 800 euro.expensive,to use it i have to give another moneys?this is not good for tomtom,this company wil have less users.

I'm sorry, I do not know what to tell you.

When you first had problems, you should not have formatted the unit without knowing what you were doing.

If you can call customer support in the country where you are, maybe they can add the map to your account.

I'm sorry, I do not know what to tell you.

When you first had problems, you should not have formatted the unit without knowing what you were doing.

If you can call customer support in the country where you are, maybe they can add the map to your account.

aniway,thanks for answers.anyone know better whaT I HAVE TO DO??

I get the impression DHN known what he/she is on about.

Yes, definitely! dhn is not only very knowledgeable, but also very helpful. I feel sorry for 666godfather but actions do have consequences. It's really not TomTom's fault that a backup was not made or that he/she formatted the unit before asking for help on the forum.

aniway,thanks for answers.anyone know better whaT I HAVE TO DO??
Let me make you an offer you can't refuse. Take DHN's advice, call the TT service operation in whatever country you're in, and beg for mercy.

Did TomTom say anything about doing a backup in the included instruction book before formatting? If not then maybe they will give you a free replacement map.

Did TomTom say anything about doing a backup in the included instruction book before formatting? If not then maybe they will give you a free replacement map.
The "included instruction book" (mostly on disk) wouldn't ever recommend a format to begin with. That advice is only offered here or through TomTom's tech support, and both would suggest a backup before doing something like this.

We have no idea where the OP got the unit, whether it was new or used, etc. If he purchased it new, he can have it straightened out under warranty once he/she gets the time.

The "included instruction book" (mostly on disk) wouldn't ever recommend a format to begin with. That advice is only offered here or through TomTom's tech support, and both would suggest a backup before doing something like this.

We have no idea where the OP got the unit, whether it was new or used, etc. If he purchased it new, he can have it straightened out under warranty once he/she gets the time.

The "included instruction book" dont have something about that,and the unit wich i purcashed is new,buyed from a store.

That is very unusual that TomTom won't let you download the map that you previously had on the unit. I recently formatted both my TomTom XL 335TM and my XL 340TM LIVE units to see what would happen and the TomTom HOME software offered to let me download the same map I already had on the GPS units before I formatted them. In addition to the application for the GPS unit TomTom also let me download both the standard voices that came with the unit and all of the extra voices I had previously purchased and installed before the format. A Windows Explorer backup or any other type of backup is apparently NOT necessary under normal circumstances.

That is very unusual that TomTom won't let you download the map that you previously had on the unit.
They give you about a year, but if I were ask Tech Support for the original map for my 720, they wouldn't be able to produce a copy to send me. They only seem to archive map sets for a fixed length of time.
A Windows Explorer backup or any other type of backup is apparently NOT necessary under normal circumstances.
It is if you don't completely trust Home to maintain the backups for you properly. We've been able to pull a lot of people out of the ditch here only because they had made their own backups. It's why we recommend it. "Normally", a person never needs either, but it's for that day when you do...

Ask a Question