Big Problems -- TomTom stuck in loop

First thing this morning, I was connecting the TomTom (One XLs) to my computer when it got stuck "applying map share corrections". Things have not gone well since. I really need this device to work so that I can work. Every minute I sit here the thing costs me money, but I need it fixed in the long run and am willing to do whatever I have to do.

Right now I'm running a check disk, which is obscene because it takes so much time. I don't really think it will do much good but as far as I know, it's a good first step.

After Home got stuck on "applying map share corrections" I disconnected the device and tried reconnecting. It will reconnect but it won't do anything else. Occasionally it will return an error about the map file. If I try to either reboot or restart the TomTom itself while it is not connected to the computer, I get the legal disclaimer and hit "I agree", but it is unresponsive and starts over. One time I got a blank green screen.

This check disk is just crawling along. I cannot wait for this. It's already 11am and I've been screwing around with it for three hours.

After doing some reading on this forum a month or two ago, I did do an "explorer back up" of the TomTom. Should I go ahead and use that? How do I use it?

Thanks. I figured, but I wanted to make sure.

It doesn't look like I'll have to do it. I was poking around Home's menu and found an option to remove map share correction. Used that and it SEEMS to be working.

I have owned three different Tom Toms. The first was buggy, but it was okay. The second was great but it died because I exposed it to too much heat. This one is the buggiest thing I've ever seen. TomTom should step up and provide service.

I'll never have another. Love the device when it's working, but too often it doesn't work and their support is awful.

Anyway thanks for your reply.

YW ,,, some people seem to have had trouble with TT support but I have had good service for the most part.

I have an older Go-920 and other than needing to replace the battery it does a very good job.

YW ,,, some people seem to have had trouble with TT support but I have had good service for the most part.

I have an older Go-920 and other than needing to replace the battery it does a very good job.

The people will steer you right, but their website is bad (in my opinion), and it's hard to get the people on the line. Email takes a few days to get started. Once they start talking to you they're pretty fast. Maybe I was being a little melodramatic.

I'm capable of fixing most of my own problems if they provide good troubleshooting, ie Microsoft or Apple or most decent hardware manufacturers.

But the thing still has too many bugs. After hours of screwing around I found a fix that was actually very easy. There are other bugs with my device, though. It works, but every time I connect to windows it says there are disk errors. Chkdsk doesn't do anything. And there are more bugs but I have to get on the road.

Thanks and take care.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to do a Format of you unit AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A GOOD BACK UP COPY.
When you have some free time.

I have done this in the past and it cleared up a lot of issues ( Just make sure you use a backup copy that was working well )

If you're getting really slow chkdsks, there's a good chance the internal flash memory is worn out.

The ONE XL accepts SD cards (2GB or smaller). You could restore you backup to a new SD card, plug it in, and see if it helps.

Ask a Question