I-355 extension in Chicago.

DOT recently finished extending part of the I-355 toll road near Chicago.Will this be updated with time to my TT1XLS ?It was opened in November and I drove it yesterday,but my TT showed me driving in a cornfield.This extension goes from I-55 to I-80 which is about 15 miles overall.Thanks in advance.

This sort of a change would not come to you via a Mapshare update...It would need to be in a future map release. I'd recommend you report the change to TeleAtlas www.teleatlas.com to let them know which portions of the road are now open. No indication of the update seems to be in the TeleAtlas data at this point.

I-355 update

Hello, This is my FIRST post YEAY!!!:)

Anyways, I live in the chicago area and very upset how the new 355 is not included in current maps. does anyone know the status of why this is so?

Can someone break down to me what map creators tomtom uses? I hear tomtom uses tele atlas for their tomtom ONE, and use navteq for their motor cycle versions.

I hear navteq is ALOT better and currently includes new 355 extension! I have little to no problems with map on my ONE. I really like the interface on my tomtom versus garmin, and I hear garmin uses navteq. This might make me switch is tomtom doesnt ante up on their map provider!

Anyways, I live in the chicago area and very upset how the new 355 is not included in current maps. does anyone know the status of why this is so?

Can someone break down to me what map creators tomtom uses? I hear tomtom uses tele atlas for their tomtom ONE, and use navteq for their motor cycle versions.

I hear navteq is ALOT better and currently includes new 355 extension! I have little to no problems with map on my ONE. I really like the interface on my tomtom versus garmin, and I hear garmin uses navteq. This might make me switch is tomtom doesnt ante up on their map provider!

Welcome.

Those who have done comparisons of maps between Garmin and TT find the Garmin's tend to be more complete in some areas, the TT (TeleAtlas) maps better in others.

I agree it is frustrating when a road you know has been around for years isn't getting shown. You can provide that information to teleatlas.com and, hopefully, since TomTom has gotten final approval to purchase TeleAtlas, the result will be a more seamless (read, 'efficient') way to get map changes from TeleAtlas through to TomTom to its customer base.

Here is a way to check out the Map differences between Navteq & Tele Atlas for your self.

If you open up Google Maps through the Tyre program it will give you 2008 Maps powered by Tele-Atlas.
( Tyre was developed my Motor Cycle Buff )

Now if go to Google Maps .com direct you will see that google maps .com is using Navteq 2008.

In both cases just look at the bottom of the Google map screen and you will see what I mean.

As for road changes and upgraded maps it does take some time to get things changed like road extensions etc. etc.
You will see that in some areas one is better than the other and in other areas it is visa-versa.

For example I checked out I-355 Veterans Memorial Tollway and in this instance Navteq on Google maps .com has it and on Google maps through Tyre Tele-Atlas doesn't.

But I could give you other instances where Tele-Atlas will have something corrected and Navetuq won't so in my opinion it becomes a personal decision and neither one is better than the other for North America or for that fact the complete Globe.

The one thing that could be in our favour is TT with Tele-Atlas is supposed to be comming out with new map upgrades every 3-4 mts. and to what I understand Navteq is once a year.

Last edited:
DOT recently finished extending part of the I-355 toll road near Chicago.Will this be updated with time to my TT1XLS ?It was opened in November and I drove it yesterday,but my TT showed me driving in a cornfield.This extension goes from I-55 to I-80 which is about 15 miles overall.Thanks in advance.

is this the area you are talking about? as discussed in the previous 7.15 map.
chicagoI-55I-355.jpg

i can confirm that it is showing in the latest version 7.25 map. i55 is connected to i80 through 355, and it is also showing in the aforemention website here: http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php.

i also had v7.20 map and i dont remember it was showing in v7.20 map.

Attachments

• i355.png
    i355.png
    6 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

Ask a Question