How to "teach" TomTom to take a street instead of another?

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1535M
I noticed some errors after updating to map Brazil_855, NavCore 9.056. TomTom says tha a two-way street near my house is now a one-way.
I noticed another error today. As shown in the picture, TomTom should guide me through the shorter, red way, as it has always done, but it takes the longer green way. How to correct that and make the change available for all TomTom users?

caminhoerradoq.png

My menus may not exactly match yours for wording, but you will find this on your unit..

While you are standing near the road ...

Forward in the menu to Correct a map error
Move the map to your position if necessary
Touch the street segment where you are - it will turn green
Select "Reverse traffic direction"
From there you can control the directions that are allowed

If you have TomTom Home configured to share your corrections with other users, your change will be sent to TomTom the next time you connect to Home and update your unit. How long it will take TomTom and TeleAtlas to make the correction to a map (for example, will it come in 860, or 865 or ???) there is no way to know. However, it should appear in the Mapshare of any user who will accept your data. If you are the only one, they must set the threshold for trust very low since the error is not being reported by many people.

Ooops -- that's a disconnect for sure! There's nothing you can do with your TomTom to convince it that a street exists where the map says there is none. You can report the problem, but unlike some other changes, that will not have any impact on your own TomTom's knowledge that the street continues. You can report the map error at Teleatlas and probably get a solution faster than going back through TomTom, and the tools to report a missing street or street segment are easier to use here, too:

Map Insight

I got it! That's why TomTom does not turn on that corner anymore. There's an error on map Brasil_855_2957. The street corner disappeared.
The error persists on map 860_3100.
I've already informed this error by using device "Map corrections" option, but I think it's not enough.
Is there another way to report this kind of error?

You can report it directly to the folks that make the maps for TomTom. Here's the link -> Map Insight

Their correction application is also a bit easier to use than the menus and map on the face of the TomTom.

Teaching Tom Tom

I just used Map Insight to correct some speed zones I found in my travels and it was quite easy.

My question is this, how long does it take before these changes are reflected in an update to the software that Tom Tom will send out?

Good question. One would hope when TeleAtlas sends the data to TT to modify for TT's maps, that changes will get included as well. But while logically one can hope changes reported to TeleAtlas today will get implemented in TT map v865 in February, that may not actually take place.

It's a guessing game.

I just used Map Insight to correct some speed zones I found in my travels and it was quite easy.

My question is this, how long does it take before these changes are reflected in an update to the software that Tom Tom will send out?
That appears to depend upon the nature of the changes. When you enter changes, they go into the 'pile' of changes being directly logged from users, TeleAtlas internal work (satellite verification, use of anonymous data being returned from users' trips that indicates they're all driving where there's not a known road, etc.) and those tasked with pounding the streets for verification. A speed change, in order to be verified, would require someone at ground level doing the work.

Both TomTom's method and that of TeleAtlas for recording changes includes some other information from the user that may be used to prioritize their work as well. For example, if you flag a change on a major road instead of a minor one, I should imagine that major road changes will take priority in their task list .. the impact of a new interchange or realignment of an interstate highway is going to affect a lot more users and have a much bigger impact on routing than a side street. We also suspect (but cannot confirm) that the more volume they see for a given spot, the more likely it is to get attention.

That said, it's a bit of a crap shoot on when a specific change will be incorporated.

You can report it directly to the folks that make the maps for TomTom. Here's the link -> Map Insight

I used this link on 01/2010 and 06/2010 to report a wrong street name near my house. The error is still there. Anyway, I've just reported the error again.

The street disconnection has already been fixed on Google Map, but not on TomTom.
googlemapantigo.png

Last edited:
All you can do is keep reporting it, hope others are reporting it, too, and wait to see when they ever get around to making the correction.

Ask a Question