How to Renew LIVE Services?

TomTom Model(s)
Go720, 2535 Live
My 2535 LIVE Services subscription is expired but I do not get any prompt to renew on either the GPS or in MyTomTom. Calls to TT Support are getting me nothing but frustration. Anyone else have this experience or know what to do?

I thought when you click the 'renew' button for your services on the unit, it's automatically extended for 10 days or something and you are sent an email about payment.

What is CS saying and have you spoken to a supervisor??

Although I can see the expire date in "My Services" on the 2535, there isn't any renew button on the unit that I can find.

I spoke to a Super...it appears that there's an issue with the web site itself. I was told that I could expect to see it corrected in 3 days and that right now there's nothing that can be done. One odd bit of information the tech gave me, which turned out to be wrong, or else I simply can't find it: apparently you can buy a new subscription on Amazon. The only thing I could find was 6-month map/traffic for the Go 740.

On my 1535 LIVE, it's Services-->2nd page of services-->'My Services' and it list the ones I have. There is (in green) a 'select to renew' link beside each one.

Mine simply shows:
TomTom Traffic
Valid until 4/11/2012

TomTom Safety Cameras
Valid until 4/11/2012

etc...

no links.

It doesn't appear that TomTom thought through the process of renewal. Spending $60 per year for the service is actually pretty reasonable considering what it saves me in time and adds in terms of convenience on the road (I've used the Fuel Prices and Local Search services many times.) The idea that they can not figure out a way for me to give them my money and that I have lost the use of something very important to me is incredibly disappointing.

For what it's worth, I do know that people at TT are aware that Americans are having issues trying to renew LIVE Services but it seems problems haven't been resolved. You'll need to deal with CS again. They are open today (Sat) at 866-486-6866.

Try to get a supervisor.

------------------------------------------------
Also, I have to confirm. Are you SURE there is no 'Select to Renew' link beside the expiry date of your services??

Last edited:
Thanks dnh, I'll call again. I've made SO MANY calls (3 yesterday alone and 13 since April 4) since this issue began, but I'll make another call.

Regarding the "Select to Renew", no, I do not have any links.

Nor do I show LIVE services in MyTomTom under "Manage Content". I don't ever recall seeing it there, but Support says I should. All I have are a section for "My maps (1)", which is current, and "My Speed Cameras (0)", which I do not subscribe to.

Yeah, same here...... I'm getting the feeling the 1535 LIVE does show the 'Select to Renew' link on the unit beside the expiry date of the service BUT the 2535 LIVE is NOT showing the link.

I've drawn attention of the problem to a couple of contacts I have at TT. Let's hope for the best since there are many 2535 LIVE owners in the same boat as you....

Yeah, same here...... I'm getting the feeling the 1535 LIVE does show the 'Select to Renew' link on the unit beside the expiry date of the service BUT the 2535 LIVE is NOT showing the link.

I've drawn attention of the problem to a couple of contacts I have at TT. Let's hope for the best since there are many 2535 LIVE owners in the same boat as you....
FWIW, I just checked my GO LIVE 1535 and it does have the "Select to Renew" links exactly as dhn described, even though my Services are shown as good until early next year. (I expected that this would be the case, but I checked just to be absolutely certain.)

Clearly, there is either a problem with the LIVE 2535 in general, or something very strange is going on with the specific unit that RichC owns. If the issue is with the LIVE 2535 in general, I would consider this to have less than flattering implications for TomTom's programming practices. The code of the firmware should be partitioned, and this would be an obvious candidate for a module that could - and should - be used across their entire line of LIVE products.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

FWIW2, my Go1015 (aka Go1005 World) also does have the green "select to renew" links.

Tomtom hasn't built the website for LIVE renewals yeet for the 1535LIVE and 2535LIVE.

This worked for another customer:
1) Call Tomtom, let them tell you to buy a renewal from Amazon
2) While on the phone, buy from this link (ignore the fact that it says 340/740)
3) Read the code to the phone rep and ask them to activate the subscription for you

That customer actually got the 6-month subscription extended to a 12-month subscription, for all their troubles.

Hopefully phone support is right that TT is fixing this within 3 days. The early 2535LIVE purchasers are all coming up upon their 1-year renewals.

@mvl, are you SURE they don't have the web site yet? Seems rather odd...

I was told on Friday about the web link, but I balked when I saw the 6-months and the lack of any mention of the GO 2535M LIVE. The tech I was talking to was surprised about the 6-months as well.

I am more than a little put off by the fact that I'd be relying on the good will of the Support folks to give a full year. TT Support has been very responsive, but over the course of the last year I have had my 2535 replaced twice and even though I lost the use of the GPS for over 5 weeks they offered me a paltry 10 day extension, which wasn't even enough to cover the time--15 calendar days--it took to replace the last unit.

Tomtom hasn't built the website for LIVE renewals yeet for the 1535LIVE and 2535LIVE.

This worked for another customer:
1) Call Tomtom, let them tell you to buy a renewal from Amazon
2) While on the phone, buy from this link (ignore the fact that it says 340/740)
3) Read the code to the phone rep and ask them to activate the subscription for you

While it's not an issue with the 1535 LIVE in Canada.....yet (hasn't been a year since roll out), it very well could be if the process isn't changed since:
  1. Most Canadians don't have an account with amazon.com but with amazon.ca
  2. Even if they do have an amazon.com account, they can't renew since this this will likely stop them (from the link):
Online Map Code: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address.

@mvl, are you SURE they don't have the web site yet? Seems rather odd...

I'm only relaying what TT phone support has told other customers, no first-hand experience. My suggestion is to call TT phone support and see what the latest status is.

OK, here's where I landed: TT 2nd Level Support (Daniel) just gave me a 'free' 10-day extension effective today (why this didn't work last week when they said it would be extended, I still do not know.) He confirmed that "...the web site is being built" and that they expect it to be up soon. Once it is I can expect to receive a notification on the 2535 as well as an email. So--for now, at least--I'm again LIVE.

@dnh was spot on regarding the missing web site. My first reaction was "Boy, I'd hate to be the product manager for that web site. He's getting either 1) fired, or 2) a good old fashioned whupping. Then I realized this is just one of many goofs...he'll probably get a promotion! :)

There've been some other posts regarding Amazon: Daniel says the TT web site is where you'll go, so forget about Amazon for now.

For other folks with the renewal issue:

Call TT Support, explain that you want to buy a renewal and let them extend you for free now until you can purchase directly.

So... is the net on the price that they've DOUBLED the cost for a Live subscription (unless you get a very generous person on the phone) to $120 a year?

TT Support couldn't say for sure, however as of yesterday LIVE renewals were still being advertised at 59.95 per year on the GO LIVE 2535 M product page. Based upon that I'd say the price hasn't changed. That's why I say you should simply ask for a 10-day extension while the dev team figures out the web site.

@canderson, I see you have the GO 720. It is (was) my favorite. Over a year ago mine was bricked during an upgrade. TT Support told me "sorry, it's out of warranty, we can't help you", so there it sits on my shelf. I had heard about the coming 2535 and decided to wait for it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 5" screen and LIVE services, but for reliability and usability you can not do better than the 720. I went years without talking to TomTom, but since the 2535 it's a whole new story.

Tomtom has just enabled on-device LIVE service renewal. GO go menu -> LIVE services -> my services.

You will get a "select to renew" button under each service.

Choose any of them, provide your device's email acct, and you can agree to a $59.95 annual renewal. You will then get an email with a link, which will take you to a website where you can pay the $59.95.

@canderson, good idea on moving the thread. Thanks.

@mvl, I just tried it, and it worked for me (I got a "Script Error" the first time, but I tried a second time and it worked) as you described. I don't have the email yet, but I can see it added 14 days to my expiration date. Awesome. Thanks for passing it along.

@Rich C.... It sounds to me like the internal memory chips have failed. Luckily you can put EVERYTHING onto a suitable SD card and get it all working again.
I had to do exactly that on a Go720, having those chips die is not that uncommon.

But I'll wait until Canderson has done his "move" before we continue

Ask a Question