How to install TomTom 7 on Chinese radio/navigator

Hi guys..

So I've been searching the forum from top to bottom and unless I missed it, I wasn't able to find what I was looking for. If there is a post that covers my problem, then please just let me know.

Ok, so today I got my TomTom Navigator 7 on CD, activation code on the disk sleeve etc.. I don't know the exact version/build as it only mentions Navigator 7 on the package and disk. What I can tell you guys is that the site that I ordered it from states that it's compatible with HTC touch II, HTC Pro, P3300, TyTN II, Diamond etc..

Now I'm trying to install this on either my portable gps navigator of double din head unit (both Chinese cheapies) which run on WinCE 5.0

So I used the option on the TT7 disk to create SD and it successfully copied everything over to the SD card. I then inserted the card into both devices and entered the settings to configure the path to the installation file (start.exe), basically telling the system where's the installation file.

Up to here all's good but as soon as I launch Navi mode, I get an error message that TomTom is not compatible with this device. I know that TT7 works on these devices but somehow I must be missing something.

Does anyone know how I can get my TT7 installed on a WinCE 5.0 system?

Cheers (B)

Does your hardware thats running WinCE look anything like this:

If so you won't get an official TTN7 install to work as its not a supported device, the hardware has insufficiant RAM to run the application correctly which leads to poor sound quality - Mike

Thanks for your reply.

It's a similar double din system and I saw one on youtube a while back that was the same as mine and it had TT7 installed. If there's no official release by TT for WinCE systems, then how do some guys manage to get it working? Is there maybe something that needs to be changed/modified in order for TT7 to run?

The radio came with a 2gb SD card with iGO8.3 installed but the maps are so outdated and I prefer using TT as I've been using TT6 on my old PDA for ages, guess I'm just use to it..

Users who have TTN7 running on one of these units will be doing so with pirate software which isn't something we will be discussing on this forum - Mike

Thanks Mike but I'm not asking how to install a pirated version, I have an original TT7 on CD with an activation code. Regardless if others are using a pirated copy to install TT7 on a WinCE system, they are still installing TT7 which is precisely what I want to do BUT with an original/legal version.

In essence and what I'm trying to find out is if there's a way I can install my LEGAL TT7 on my Wince navigator, I have no interest in finding out where to download pirated copies, how to crack it etc.. Surely modifying my legal copy (if possible to do so) in order that I can get it running on my navigator is not considered illegal or am I wrong (not being sacrastic..) and open for discussion?

Cheers (B)

The official TTN7 install has a list of supported devices within one of the files, if the hardware a user trys to install it to isn't on the list then it won't play ball, I don't know of any other way to make it work other than to use officially recognised hardware - A fairly stupid deployment stategy though as this is denying TT sales of their own software - Mike

Ask a Question