How to Install Custom POI's to your TomTom Device

Nope, its pretty easy. You can add it simply by going through Main Menu>Change Preferences>Manage POI>Add POI>Select the custom Shell POI>and then enter the location via address/long&lat/point on a map etc.
Did as you said worked great. Then remembered I had downloaded manual as .pdf. The old saying. RTFB. everything was there. Thanks.

I'm having trouble with the POIs. I've downloaded a few and followed the instructions here. They are in the North_America folder (there's North America and North_America but it looks like the maps are in the one with the _...)

I can't find them in the list of POIs on the TomTom now. Am I missing something? Are they already in other categories? How can I change what category they are in so I can find them?

ETA: I discovered that when I did the Map Update I never removed the old maps. I was installing the POI's into the old map, not the new one. When I deleted the old map and placed the POI's in the correct map directory everything worked. You can use this as a reminder to the new folks unpacking and updating their maps. :eek:

I'm having trouble with the POIs. I've downloaded a few and followed the instructions here. They are in the North_America folder (there's North America and North_America but it looks like the maps are in the one with the _...)

I can't find them in the list of POIs on the TomTom now. Am I missing something? Are they already in other categories? How can I change what category they are in so I can find them?

ETA: I discovered that when I did the Map Update I never removed the old maps. I was installing the POI's into the old map, not the new one. When I deleted the old map and placed the POI's in the correct map directory everything worked. You can use this as a reminder to the new folks unpacking and updating their maps. :eek:

Glad to hear it worked out.

what is a good file reader for the ov2 files?

TextPad usually can recognize formatting, but it didn't seem to agree...

thanks!

The original post said if you have a red box next to the POI, then there are two things you should check:

1. Are the BMP and OV2 files named EXACTLY the same?
2. Are the BMP icons 22x22 or 24x24 (because these were the only two sizes he had tested)?

Well, I have checked both my TT and I still have red boxes on my TT. Can anyone help??

Z.

have the same problem have the red square but downloaded the bmp of the image i need but cant seem to get it to work with my ov2 file. what do i have to do to converte it or something to see the image next to the file. thanks

what im looking to get is the HSBC bank icon in small enough bmp to i can use it. anyone know how I can make it small enough for it to work or is there a way to convert these to a smaller size. please help

what im looking to get is the HSBC bank icon in small enough bmp to i can use it. anyone know how I can make it small enough for it to work or is there a way to convert these to a smaller size. please help

Paint may be able to resize and this application certainly can and much, much more. It's free: http://www.irfanview.com/

thanks it is a great program got the logo small enough but can't figure how to save it that small and turn it into a bmp file cause i can't find a hsbc logo to make that small that is already a bmp file sorry but i am new at this and just need that bank logo can you or someone walk me through how to safe this picture at the size i like and how to turn to bmp size thanks so much

thanks it is a great program got the logo small enough but can't figure how to save it that small and turn it into a bmp file cause i can't find a hsbc logo to make that small that is already a bmp
Since you have the image, open it in Irfanview, then Image > Resize, type 40 in the Width field, click OK. If that is not the size you want just go Image > Resize again and change it until you end up with a size you want. (If it became too small and you want it bigger it is best to Open File and redo it with your original else it may get too grainy.) Now, click File > Save as, select a Folder (I use the Desktop until I am done), give it a name. click the down arrow at Save as type:, click BMP, click Save.

If this doesn't work for you, send me the picture as an attachment and tell me the size you want in Pixels.

i tried these steps and when i go to the desktop where i save it and its not there. i cant find it to use. i saved it to desktop and bmp for file type and when i save and go to desktop its not there. any ideas whats going on thanks so much

ok i think i got it i appreciate all the help.. now have to see where do i put it to make it show up. is there a way to assign this icon to the hsbc adresses. i have the tomtom one xl. does it go in the us folder or in guam. thanks

The .ov2 file and the .bmp file go into the specific map folder you want the poi to show up in. If you are in the States, you want them in the US map folder, NOT Guam.

Also......the two associated files must be named exactly the same except for the extension. E.g, HSBC.ov2 and HSBC.bmp but hsbc.bmp will NOT show up.

awesome everyone you all have been great it works and i love it thank you all and we will be in touch

Ask a Question