How to Install Custom POI's to your TomTom Device

Nope, its pretty easy. You can add it simply by going through Main Menu>Change Preferences>Manage POI>Add POI>Select the custom Shell POI>and then enter the location via address/long&lat/point on a map etc.
Did as you said worked great. Then remembered I had downloaded manual as .pdf. The old saying. RTFB. everything was there. Thanks.

I'm having trouble with the POIs. I've downloaded a few and followed the instructions here. They are in the North_America folder (there's North America and North_America but it looks like the maps are in the one with the _...)

I can't find them in the list of POIs on the TomTom now. Am I missing something? Are they already in other categories? How can I change what category they are in so I can find them?

ETA: I discovered that when I did the Map Update I never removed the old maps. I was installing the POI's into the old map, not the new one. When I deleted the old map and placed the POI's in the correct map directory everything worked. You can use this as a reminder to the new folks unpacking and updating their maps. :eek:

I'm having trouble with the POIs. I've downloaded a few and followed the instructions here. They are in the North_America folder (there's North America and North_America but it looks like the maps are in the one with the _...)

I can't find them in the list of POIs on the TomTom now. Am I missing something? Are they already in other categories? How can I change what category they are in so I can find them?

ETA: I discovered that when I did the Map Update I never removed the old maps. I was installing the POI's into the old map, not the new one. When I deleted the old map and placed the POI's in the correct map directory everything worked. You can use this as a reminder to the new folks unpacking and updating their maps. :eek:

Glad to hear it worked out.

Downloading POIs to Macs

Hi Digi-Flex

Do you know how one downloads POIs to a Mac. Unzipping the zip file is no big deal but finding where to place bmp and ovi files is a mystery. Thanks

RE: Macs

Hi,
I hate to ask, but I don't know how to open or copy the downloaded POIs to the Map Directory on a Mac. Is this accessed through HOME?
Thanks.
Chris

Hi,
I hate to ask, but I don't know how to open or copy the downloaded POIs to the Map Directory on a Mac. Is this accessed through HOME?
Thanks.
Chris

I don't own or used a Mac but I'll try and help you out.

After having downloaded the POI, you need a program to unzip the file. You can use the program Stuffit, which I link to in the tutorial. Download and install it.

Now use the program to unzip it to your desktop on your Mac. You should then see two files appear with the same name i.e. Wal-mart.ov2 and Wal-mart.bmp.

You want to copy these files using the Mac file system manager to your TT device's map folder. In Windows, we have Windows Explorer. I believe its called File Finder on the Mac (not 100% sure on that). When you connect your TT device it should be recognized as a external hard drive. Browse that hard drive and look for a folder of your map. It should be USA_and_Canada, North_America, Guam etc. depending on where you are located.

Drop those two files in the those map folders. That's it.

Let me know if you have problems.

Thanks

God, I feel stupid--I never thought to look in Finder...I was focusing on the Home software and kept clicking and clicking.
Thanks a lot.
Chris

If you have more than one map installed on your TT, do you need to put copies of the custom POI's in each map folder to be able to access them from all of your maps?? I'm assuming you do since you put the POI's in the map folder.

SD Card Question

I think I finally figured out how to add POIs, but have one question about them. Obviously the drive on the TT is pretty small once you start adding all of this stuff, if I buy a SD card for my TT, do I move everything to that and treat it as the "hard drive" or will the TT read from both drives?

Thanks for the help!!

Gus

Can't get the same screen as yours

I'm trying to load a series of POI's as you suggest, but can't seem to find how to copy to my TTom. I have version 1XL.
I connected my TT device to my computer via USB and wanted to copy the two files in my map directory, as directed by "Super Moderator". Problem is, I can't locate this map directory. I have the US_Canada map installed - I don't have a card.

Please help me to better understand what I have to do.

David in Ottawa, Ontario

I'm trying to load a series of POI's as you suggest, but can't seem to find how to copy to my TTom. I have version 1XL.
I connected my TT device to my computer via USB and wanted to copy the two files in my map directory, as directed by "Super Moderator". Problem is, I can't locate this map directory. I have the US_Canada map installed - I don't have a card.

Please help me to better understand what I have to do.

David in Ottawa, Ontario

You can replace the reference of North America with US_Canada as the NA maps was where I wanted to install the POI's.

Ask a Question