How to get Elevation Readout???

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 720
Greetings All,
I'm a new guy with a new toy, but the new toy does not show the all important elevation. Some people may not need or want this feature but living in the mountains it is a nice feature to have. So would some of you tech savy hackers please tell me the code to put in to get the elevation readout??

Have seen some of the third party programs but most are full of bugs.

Are there any other solutions??? :confused:

Thanks,
Chris

I tried to get the TT staff to help me on that very thing (only available thru the "plus package" "weather" addon).
I am not a "tech savy hacker", but "Tripmaster" works about as well as could be expected given the limitations of the hardware/software available to us "non-military" users. I spend a lot of time going between sea level (I live at about 60' above sea level) to around 5,000' where I ride and play. I have found that there can be as much as 100' error in the readings depending on how many satellites are being read and the rate of elevation change. Don't think you are going to get the kind of readings you would from a barometric pressure based instrument (I am also a pilot and though might be tempted to use my TT ONE XL "car nav" system as a "backup" navigation aid while airborne, I would never count on it as an elevation reference unless all my other instruments were broken and I could not see outside. Of course in those conditions, prayer is about all you have going for you anyway! Give "Tripmaster" a try, it is easy to uninstall if you don't like it.

I'm also a pilot and really like to know what altitude I'm at when driving in the mountains. I went ahead and got the Altimeter program working and am using it right now. I may load up Tripmaster and see how I like it.

Thanks for the reply.

Greetings All,
I'm a new guy with a new toy, but the new toy does not show the all important elevation. Some people may not need or want this feature but living in the mountains it is a nice feature to have. So would some of you tech savy hackers please tell me the code to put in to get the elevation readout??

Have seen some of the third party programs but most are full of bugs.

Are there any other solutions??? :confused:

Thanks,
Chris
If you will pick up the 1.7B version of OffRoad Navigator, I think you'll find it is sufficently bug free to use on your 720. Works well enough now, and you'll discover the altitude writ LARGE in the lower left corner.

And while I've heard about the shortcomings of most units with regard to accuracy for altitude, I've found the TT720 does a very credible job if you give it a decent shot at a few satellites. I'm in Colorado, and unless in too much of a GPS shadow, regularly get accuracy of +/- 20 feet.

How do you add the OffRoad Navigator software to the 720?
Download 1.7B version from Webazar. Place files in the TomTom Home download directory, use TomTom Home to install application.

Installing software

I did that and it worked but the screen was garbled sometimes. I rewrote the txt file as seen on some forums. the program seemed slow to respond. Guess it was not written for the 720...

I did that and it worked but the screen was garbled sometimes. I rewrote the txt file as seen on some forums. the program seemed slow to respond. Guess it was not written for the 720...
It does go a bit beserk between screens, but except for data entry of lat/long which I've worked around when using it for location, I've not had any more serious problems with it that I couldn't ignore. In your application as an altimeter, if you don't try to select anything, it should just give you current coordinate data along with the altitude.

Offroad Navigator Help

I just downloaded offroad navigator 1.7B and put the files into the tomtom home download folder. I rebooted the tomtom and it looked for updates and found none. I am new to the world of GPS, I just bought the 920T and I don't understand every thing yet. I saw that it came in as a compressed folder. What am I doing wrong. Do I need a SD card installed to do this.

I just downloaded offroad navigator 1.7B and put the files into the tomtom home download folder. I rebooted the tomtom and it looked for updates and found none. I am new to the world of GPS, I just bought the 920T and I don't understand every thing yet. I saw that it came in as a compressed folder. What am I doing wrong. Do I need a SD card installed to do this.

If the file is a ZIP file, UNzip (unpack) that into your download directory and then fire up HOME and try again.

I unzipped the files and these are the files I got. Offroad, Skin and sdkregistry and it still does not work.
Please double check these:

sdkregistry: contains offroad.bmp and offroad.cap

offroad: contains various *.lng language files, the config.txt file and a subdirectory called images, and most important, a file just called "offroad" (about 878K in size).

I found the file but what do i do with it?
Not sure how to respond, since I'm not sure what file you're replying about, nor which of the two possible messages above are your target.

If you found all of the files as I described them above in the requisite folders, then I'm as stumped as you are. They wouldn't have gotten there unless TTHome had been doing what it thought to be a normal installation.

When you move to your main menu and hit the blue right arrow a few times, don't you see the icon for OffRoad Navigator on the last page, by itself?

Ask a Question