How to create GoogleMap for Offroad

I've dug around the forums, but can't find what I'm looking for--my apologies in advance if I overlooked it. I am trying to figure out how to create the maps for Offroad Navigator from GoogleEarth. I found the thread that discusses the utility that will split large maps--but I can't figure how to create the original map to begin witth. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about the raster map overlays that work with the 3rd party software "offroad"? Or is there a google map software called "offroad" that I have not heard about?

I was talking about creating raster overlays for the 3rd party software Offroad Navigator, but I got it figured out. Thanks.

I can tell you how I did it. I'm sure there are more efficient methods, but this one worked for me:
1. Start a free Google account so that you can create and edit your own maps.
2. In GoogleMaps, go to the My Maps option, and "Create new map"
3. Use the "Place mark" option to set a pushpin at the point for the upper left corner of your desired map coverage, and another one for the lower right corner of your map.
4. After setting your 2 corner points, click the "View in GoogleEarth" button
5. In GoogleEarth, you can right click on your 2 place marks and in the properties view, see the lat/long of your marks. Write these numbers down.
6. Use a screen capture utility to capture either the GoogleEarth map or the GoogleMaps image. Make sure your capture includes your two place marks. (I use SnagIt for my captures. It has a free trial period, but it's worth whatever they are asking for it these days.)
7. After creating your base map (it can be in any format.), use Marc Hillman's package to calibrate the map and split it into smaller maps that will fit on your GPS. The hyperlink has good instructions on how to use this utility. (Thanks Marc!)
--I will add here that I'm using a One 130. The maps created by the Hillman package are the right size and calibrated, BUT...for some reason, I can not get them to work with Offroad Navigator. I compared the images created by Hillman utility to those images that did work on my system. The only differences were the bit depth. I don't even know what bit depth really is, or why it would effect the performance of Offroad Navigator, but it does. The images created by the Hillman utility have a bit depth of 8. My images that worked had a bit depth of 24. Guess another function of SnagIt??--that's right! It has an image converter that lets you change the bit depth. After changing the Hillman created images to a 24 bit depth, they worked like a champ! (This is not as complicated as I'm making it sound.)
8. Put your calibrated bmp maps in the correct folder (as described by Hillman and roussillat)--DONE.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Offroad software - adding marine charts

Hi, I was able to install the "offroad" software from webazar.org in my XL version, and it works great, however I am having problems adding the maps (marine charts)... the instructions to add the maps from webazar say:

How can you add maps to Offroad Navigator ?

By default, Offroad Navigator hasn't got any map visible. Anyhow, you can add maps that you need to create and install yourself.

Here are some tricks to setup maps :

The maps must be in BMP format and have a size equal to 480*272 pixels for large screen Tomtom or 320*240 pixels for other Tomtom. If the size is not exactly one of the specified sizes, the width and height must be a multiple of 8.
Maps and their coordinates are described in the file /offroad/maps/config.map which contains as many lines as maps number.
config.map file example

-1.6 48.4 -1.5 48.1 /mnt/sdcard/offroad/maps/carte-0-0.bmp
-1.5 48.4 -1.3 48.1 /mnt/sdcard/offroad/maps/carte-1-0.bmp
-1.3 48.4 -1.1 48.1 /mnt/sdcard/offroad/maps/carte-2-0.bmp
-1.6 48.1 -1.5 47.8 /mnt/sdcard/offroad/maps/carte-0-1.bmp
-1.5 48.1 -1.3 47.8 /mnt/sdcard/offroad/maps/carte-1-1.bmp
-1.3 48.1 -1.1 47.8 /mnt/sdcard/offroad/maps/carte-2-1.bmp

My question is: how do you create the config.map file? is that just a txt file named "config.map?" any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My question is: how do you create the config.map file? is that just a txt file named "config.map?"
Yes, a simple text file - use Windows Explorer to rename the file extension and make sure it doesn't end up being called config.map.txt as thats a common error that can mess things up - Mike

I am having problems with the maps on the Offroad Navigator, I have followed all the instructions from the posts here (thanks!) I have put the maps in the map folder on my Tom Tom but when I open Offroad Nav and select "File" I get the message "No itinerary files" I presume this is how you load a map? any help much appreciated.
TT 630
W7
Offroad Nav v3.0 + Hook v1.1
Marc Hillman Utility, Snagit v9.0

I am having problems with the maps on the Offroad Navigator, I have followed all the instructions from the posts here (thanks!) I have put the maps in the map folder on my Tom Tom but when I open Offroad Nav and select "File" I get the message "No itinerary files" I presume this is how you load a map? any help much appreciated.
TT 630
W7
Offroad Nav v3.0 + Hook v1.1
Marc Hillman Utility, Snagit v9.0
If I recall correctly, that is simply an advisement that you haven't got anything planned. You have the option of using a TomTom style itinerary, navigate to a TomTom favorite, or navigate to a set of coordinates. It's just advising you that you have no active itinerary.

Just so we're clear, you put your custom maps into the offroad\maps folder, not the TomTom's own map folder, correct? And you created your config.map file and placed it there, too?

I didn't peek at your location ... Are you using a "-" sign as needed for W longitude coordinates, and leaving it off if E coordinates?

Last item ... where do you have all of your sdk folder and OffRoad files ... on your internal drive or on an SD card? Don't be confused by the mnt/sdcard nomenclature in the config file .. that actually points to the internal memory of your unit, and that's where these files should be placed.

I made the maps using the Marc Hillman Utility which also generates the config.map file, the co-ordinates came from Google Earth and I did not see any W and E sign, the maps and config file were placed in the map folder for Offroad Nav which is in the internal memory (I do not have an SD card inserted) My location is western europe, it seems the problem could be to do with the co-ordinates and need the "-" sign inserting?

I just stood outside with my TT and checked my location, it was giving Latitude as a "N" and Longitude as a "E" there was no "-" figure infront of either co-ordinate.

I just stood outside with my TT and checked my location, it was giving Latitude as a "N" and Longitude as a "E" there was no "-" figure infront of either co-ordinate.
That's good, then. You would only need a minus sign if you were W or S.

I double checked, and indeed, unless you have at least one existing *.itn itinerary file on your TomTom, trying to select "File" works as I thought. You are being advised that you don't have any itineraries from which to choose, that's all.

I'm not sure why the maps aren't working correctly for you.

FWIW, though, the only time you'll see one of the custom maps is if you are currently within that map space or if it's your next waypoint.

I followed the steps here, and Offroad worked as advertised. A question though, if you have a new map, can you simply add it with a new description file, like Harmon's, or can you only have one description file and need to add the new lines with notepad?
Andy

well at last I now have the maps working:) for some reason the map folder was outside of the Offroad folder as are some other folders relating to Offroad, when I put the map folder into the Offroad folder the maps worked, should the other folders also be put inside the Offroad folder? My position on the map seems to be shown as a small square with cross-hairs and is in the bottom right hand corner, I was sort of expecting to see my position in the center, is this correct? I also have a question about adding maps, after generating the maps the config.map file and maps will be named the same as the previous files and will ask to overwrite them if I try and transfer them to the map folder, what's the solution for this?

The cursor will move around the map tile to show your current position, once it gets to an edge it will automatically switch to the next map tile applicable for your location, the map tiles are the same size as the screen so if they showed you in the centre with a moving map tile half the screen would be blank until the next tile, this simply wouldn't look right in use - Mike

I just went out for a walk about and I now understand how the cursor moves and the map says still until as you say you go over the edge, thanks for the info.

I just went out for a walk about and I now understand how the cursor moves and the map says still until as you say you go over the edge, thanks for the info.
It's not as pretty as a continuous redraw and keeping you centered as you move, but it's a lot more efficient from a CPU standpoint. The application only has to manage the current tile / map segment that you occupy rather than attempting to stitch and scroll four on the screen at once.

Ask a Question