How to create a new custom POI category/file, from scratch?

Discussion in 'System Configuration and Customization' started by jonesing, Dec 17, 2007.

1. jonesing

jonesing

TomTom Model(s):
    ONE XL-S
    Well I've looked around and saw how to install custom POIs, POI alerts, correct existing POIs and such. But I'd like to create, from scratch, my own custom POI file. I have a couple of ideas for restaurants that I haven't seen here yet and copied the addresses into a spreadsheet, I know enough that the spreadsheet has to be in text .CSV format but that's about it. What about field/header names? Lat, long formats? ie what's the data/field structure of the file? And how do I convert it to .OV2 format?

I tried playing with the POIEdit program and was utterly unsuccessful with that. :mad: So right now all I have is a spreadsheet file with the addresses.

Thanks!

jonesing, Dec 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. jonesing

davidalan99

TomTom Model(s):
    740 Live (not Used), Iphone 4 with TomTom & Navigon and TomTom Car Kit (not used)
    you can do it one at a time via the manage you POI's on the menu

davidalan99, Dec 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. jonesing

Pedro2NR

TomTom Model(s):
    GO 910, ONE V2, GO 920 GO 730 & iPad TT App
    You can try the application: MyPOI - just google it.

If you want to make a POI manually, then obtain the address with their official website. You can use this
    http://www.batchgeocode.com/ to obtain the cordinates from address.
    The .CSV file should have 3 columns: the first two needs to be the cordniates and the last the POI description.

Use POIedit to convert the .csv file to .ov2 and your done.

Sorry this is a simple write up. If you search on the forum, I went into specific detail how to do this.

Pedro2NR, Dec 18, 2007
  4. jonesing

jonesing

TomTom Model(s):
    ONE XL-S
    Thanks but I'm too lazy to do it one at a time :rolleyes:

Pedro, that site helped out and I did see where the format is long, lat, description. I guess what I needed was an explanation of how the description field works.

From poking around I did see that using the symbol >+ is the phone field separator so that whatever appears after >+ is displayed on the TomTom's screen as the POI phone number.

jonesing, Dec 19, 2007
  5. jonesing

joey301

TomTom Model(s):
    Editing POI categories

I am scared to try the POIEdit program too. But, I have a related question, is it possible to edit a POI category once you create it? The only option that I see is to add a category, or delete one. If I go to edit, it only lets me edit POIs not categories. What am I missing.

Thanks,
    Joey

joey301, Dec 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question