How to buy a map from HOME

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Like every year im going to visit my wife's family in singapore but this time i have my 720 !

So how im supposed to pay for the maps ? there is no info about it and when i try to get it they say that info are missing from my profile... but i checked everywhere and i dunno where to enter those info and how to pay for the maps

Like every year im going to visit my wife's family in singapore but this time i have my 720 !

So how im supposed to pay for the maps ? there is no info about it and when i try to get it they say that info are missing from my profile... but i checked everywhere and i dunno where to enter those info and how to pay for the maps

I have seen others say they go to the UK site, fake a UK address, pay by paypal and dl the map they needed.

Or, I guess, a call to TomTom customer service.

Fire up your 720 in its cradle and let TomTom Home rip.

Head for the "Add Maps, Traffic, Voices" section.

Head for the "Maps" section.

DEselect the box in the lower left that says "Show only recommended items". It's trying to avoid having you select things that don't pertain to your North American unit, and that's exactly what you want to do. Seems silly -- they must not think we travel much!

That will open up a MUCH wider variety for you.

Click on the "Buy" button way out to the right in the Singapore box.

They'll get your credit card number/info and send you the file through TomTom Home. Unless you have fiddled the TomTom Home directory preferences, you will find the map file set in

My Documents\Tom Tom\HOME\Downloads\Map

TomTom Home knows how to install them on your 720 from that location. From that TomTom Home menu above, you'll find that it now shows "My Computer" instead of "Online" for the location of the files. Just tell it to install them.

Note: While the Singapore maps are not very big, do be aware that space on your 720 as delivered will be tight. If Singapore won't fit, you can put them on an external SD card or take out a few of the unused voices, the Guam map file set, etc., from your 720 to make space. I'm guessing Singapore will fit without that, though.

i dont think you really got what i meant.... i know how and where to get the maps from... my problem was than during checkout its was alway saying that info was missing from my profile and i didnt understand why

But today i tried something, i switch my setting from Canada - French for Canada - English and now everything is working... during the checkout the error dont come up anymore and now ask me for more info (than supposly missing info)

So i guess the problem was that when i put french as language its not recognize for canada...
like they have no french support at Tomtom for canada and like they ship the XL-S with no french TTS voice and no space left to add it and no way to delete susan directly from home... i guess a 7millions people market is not big enough to bother

i dont think you really got what i meant.... i know how and where to get the maps from... my problem was than during checkout its was alway saying that info was missing from my profile and i didnt understand why

But today i tried something, i switch my setting from Canada - French for Canada - English and now everything is working... during the checkout the error dont come up anymore and now ask me for more info (than supposly missing info)

So i guess the problem was that when i put french as language its not recognize for canada...
like they have no french support at Tomtom for canada and like they ship the XL-S with no french TTS voice and no space left to add it and no way to delete susan directly from home... i guess a 7millions people market is not big enough to bother

Tomtom Home 2.1 has an icon "Remove Items from My Unit". Choosing that, I see, among other items, 1 Computer Voice (Susan), which, if I check, will be removed.

You don't have that?

even if you do it from home the files will stay in the files and it wont free any memory to add the "juliette voice"
i have to go delete it manualy in the TTS folder to free up enough memory for the new voice. my 720 dont do that tho, only the XL-S so far

you cant imagine how many customer came back after christmas to have their XL-S refunded because of the lack of french voice (and french tech support to know how to put it in) most of the buyer are old people who want to buy a plug n play product...

even if you do it from home the files will stay in the files and it wont free any memory to add the "juliette voice"
i have to go delete it manualy in the TTS folder to free up enough memory for the new voice. my 720 dont do that tho, only the XL-S so far

you cant imagine how many customer came back after christmas to have their XL-S refunded because of the lack of french voice (and french tech support to know how to put it in) most of the buyer are old people who want to buy a plug n play product...

Yeah, I can.....

Because so much of TomTom is focussed on European users and functionality since, as you know, it's a company based there, North American users get the short end of the stick in many areas (e.g, 1 year free for the RTC traffic subscription vs. **lifetime** in UK and elsewhere).

Further, we see evidence that Canada gets less attention than our American cousins--both in map detail and other areas.

Finally, take that down to the level of French Canada and the lack of attention the company provided and I surely do see why customers would be upset.

It's not as if your customers in Quebec pay less for the product.

Ask a Question