How to add a custom POI

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 720
Hi All...

New 720 user here :) i have searched how to add a custom POI - i found a nice thread that shows how to do it, but i have a question.

i found a graphic for a speed trap from a custom poi post that i like, but there is no .ov2 file with it.

I also found this post which shows what to do with a custom POI

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=1804&highlight=installing+a+new+poi

I tried searching on how to create a ov2 file... but didnt come up with anything. So...how would i go about creating an ov2 file so i can setup my tomtom with a custom POI that represents Speed traps?

I have a feeling this is answered somewhere but i am just having some badluck with the search i guess :(

Thx!

You can manually enter them on your 720, name the POI to whatever you want and then add the graphic as a 20x20 bmp (the 720 will do 24 x 24 but for compatibility across all TT models I do 20 x 20)graphics file named the same as the ov2 file. The 720 will just have you select a generic icon ( a colored dot) initially, which you can then replace later. I've done this multiple times for local only POI groups.

You can manually enter them on your 720, name the POI to whatever you want and then add the graphic as a 20x20 bmp (the 720 will do 24 x 24 but for compatibility across all TT models I do 20 x 20)graphics file named the same as the ov2 file. The 720 will just have you select a generic icon ( a colored dot) initially, which you can then replace later. I've done this multiple times for local only POI groups.

To add to your excellent explanation, user should be careful not to name the custom poi the same as a built in category.

Thx for the excellent advice! I have been reading forum posts here ont he forums for most of the morning!

i found a POI update from the TT Home program that had the ov2 files + bmp files, and they were installed here:

I:\North_America_2GB\

My question now is basically what exactly does the ov2 file do? does it have to contain information inside it or can i create an empty txt file, rename to ov2 and put an appropriate bmp file 20x20?

I am basically looking for a way to add my own custom markers for specific spots... be it speed trap, or whatever. I dont really need pre-configured markers as i would rather put them in places i want them to appear in.

Also, it seems the only way i can mark my custom POI's are through Change Preferences, Manage POI's, add POI, to Point on MAP. Isnt there a way to have a quick menu that i can say stick a marker at my current location?

Thanks!!!!!

The ov2 file contains all of the relevant data for the POI. You can create multiple custom POIs on your 720 and then add the icons as you go. You can create empty new POI categories and add specific sites as you go.

You can add the "Mark location of Map error" to the quick menu and then add the POIs when you have the time.

The ov2 file contains all of the relevant data for the POI. You can create multiple custom POIs on your 720 and then add the icons as you go. You can create empty new POI categories and add specific sites as you go.

You can add the "Mark location of Map error" to the quick menu and then add the POIs when you have the time.

Good answer! very helpful, thanks

Thx guys for the helpful tips!

It seems as though i can just create an empty text file, name it whatever with an .ov2 extension, and add its appropriate .bmp file (as long as its that specific size) and it will work as a custom POI.

I ended up downloading a free POI off the net, then editing it using POIView taking off everythign except my entries.

Thx guys!

Ask a Question