How many POI's come with it?

I just ordered a 920 from Costco for my daughter.

One thing I have not been able to find anywhere is a concrete number for the POI's that ship with the unit. Best I can find is "millions", which doesn't tell me much.

I personally am used to my 3-year-old Garmin that comes with 6 million POI's spread over the U.S. that cover a wide variety of shops, restaurants etc. How does the tomtom compare? One thing tomtom clearly has that Garmin does not is what appears to be a vibrant user community supplying POI's. Looking for some comparison from some of you folks so I can better ground my understanding of this thing. If its at parity or at least close on POI's I'd probably buy another one for myself given the more advanced features.

I think the number of POI are a little overrated. I looked at some of the options under POI and some of them are a little absured. The main ones are the ones I am interested in.

On GPS Review they list the 720 as having 5000000 POIs. I would think that all the TTs would have the same ones.:)

Wow that number seems high. I know the 920 has a pretty complete set. But the 720 doesn't do a good job IMO. I know because it's something I've run into. I went from a 910 with 7.10 maps to a 720 with the same maps and have many less POIs. I called TT and asked them to authorize 9x0 maps for me to use on an SDHC card on my 720 but they wouldn't (I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask since I "upgraded" and lost capabilities. I asked them if I could use the POI file from my 910 on my 720 and they said I could but they weren't sure how mapshare would work with it. Well it doesn't, so that's not an option for me. I wish there was a way to parse the poi file and make ov2 files from it. All my searches have found some legacy stuff but nothing that seems to work. I guess if I can't find anything I'll wait a year, then buy 9x0 maps via the website store.

Ask a Question