How Does Traffic Work?

Now that I have finally been able to sync data on my Palm 755p, I am thinking of buying a traffic subscription for my Go 720. Could someone who has this service please explain how the trafffic service works in practice? Do you have to manually do a trafffic search from the menu every so often or do you set it and forget it? How does the traffic information dispaly? Is it route specific or is it just a traffic report like you would get on the radio. Is there a way to automatically route around the traffic jam?

You should be able to get a trial subscription (for only one month probably), so the best way to learn about it would be to try it out. It gives traffic info for the route you have selected, and it updates periodically and alerts you if situations change.

Try to enable it while connected to Home. You would have to have a TT Account set up, and be logged onto it when you try.

If no luck, call support - they would probably set up a trial subscription for you.

There is some suspicion that a 1 yr subscription to Traffic went from $29.95 to $59.95/yr as of August 1st. Users are (as usual) getting conflicting info -- both from TT's website and from Cust Support -- so check things out carefully before plunging ahead.

Do you have to manually do a trafffic search from the menu every so often or do you set it and forget it?
When you are navigating, the traffic will update automatically. Usually about every 2 minutes or so I've noticed. When not navigating, you will need to update the traffic manually.

How does the traffic information dispaly?
There is a sidebar on the R side of the Tom Tom which will give a delay summary. If you tap it, you can access various ways of checking your delays. It also shows traffic actively on the roads. Yellow moving "arrows" or red depending how impeded the flow is. It's pretty slick actually.

Is it route specific or is it just a traffic report like you would get on the radio.
It is if you are navigating, yes. It looks at the conditions on your selected route. You can also browse traffic under the browse map feature (like Google Maps).

Is there a way to automatically route around the traffic jam?
Absolutely. It will ask you if you are on route and traffic changes, if you'd like you re-route. If you plan a route and there's traffic, you can replan to avoid all delays. It works pretty well, I've been happy so far. It's not ALWAYS accurate, but it's saved me a few times.

I've been using traffic for probably 9 months on the thing, and I have yet to pay for it. Just FYI. Call Tom Tom.

There is some suspicion that a 1 yr subscription to Traffic went from $29.95 to $59.95/yr as of August 1st. Users are (as usual) getting conflicting info -- both from TT's website and from Cust Support -- so check things out carefully before plunging ahead.

That's not a suspicion, it's a fact! One year subscription costs $59.95. I saw no reference for a trial, 30 days or otherwise.

I think users who subscribe to the plus services often are offered the trial if they call Customer Support. I've seen some who have 30 days free, a few got 3 months and there is one member here who has gotten a 1 year free trial (and is keeping a low profile about it :D )

Ask a Question