How do I create an Itinerary?

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom One
Hello all,

Hello all,

I am a new TT1 owner and I was greatly surprised by the lack of detailed instruction that was provided with the unit (in the box). However, I have found the TT1 manual (thanks to this forum) and I will use it.

I have used the TT1 manual to create my first itinerary and store it on the TT1. I used coordinates from GE. I then used Explorer to find the .itn file on my TT1 "drive" and I used wordpad to look at it. This is what my .itn file looks like:

-7994760|4050370|Catherine St|0|
-7989750|4088000|US 422 Wb|0|
-7916940|4183640|Ludlow St US 6/US 62 - Sill St|2|

I can see that the first field is my "W" coordinate (decimal degrees) and the second field is my "N" coordinate. The third field is obviously descriptive of the waypoint - question: is there a limit on the number of characters in this field? I have no idea what the fourth field is - will somebody explain the fourth field to me (my best guess is that the "0" means that it is a waypoint and the "2" means that it is a destination(?) but are there other uses for this field?). Are there any TT1 rules for naming the .itn file (spaces are underscores etc. and is there a limit on length of filename)?

Am I correct in thinking that I can use wordpad and just use the file shown above as a guide in creating other .itn files?

Thank you for your help.

Regards, John.

Last edited:
It's easier to use Tyre. When you copy a Google Earth Placemark it appears as a waypoint in Tyre. When you are done, Tyre will download the itinerary file straight into your TT.

Ask a Question