TT1 insists on changing itinerary created with Google Maps

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE
:confused: I have searched this forum for awhile, and while I found some answers, I still need more help. I have created an itinerary using Google Maps, the Houghi web site, and Tyre. After considerable work placing many waypoints, I finally created the route as I wanted it, or so I thought. After following all directions as carefully as possible, and after copying the .itn file to my TT1 (firmware 7.163), I have the following questions:

1) Why, after loading this (or any other) itinerary, does my ONE always ask me if I want the fastest route, shortest route, etc.? Shouldn't the itinerary tell it what the route should be? It should already know; why does it still ask me?

2) Why, after loading an itinerary, does it still want to analyze 1,000's of roads?

3) Why does the "Browse As Text" option show different turns, routes, directions, etc. that were not included in my itinerary, and why are some of my explicit turns not showing up in the Text list? Shouldn't the itinerary dictate to my ONE exactly which route I want to follow? Shouldn't it follow MY waypoints? Why does it insist on re-calculating everything?

Admittedly, the route is rather long, from upstate New York to southern Virginia, but I never exceeded the number of waypoints, and was very careful when placing them, always zooming in as far as possible to make sure they were placed correctly.

I would appreciate it very much if someone can shed some light on this. No doubt I am doing something wrong, but what? I don't think the problem is with Google Maps or Tyre; more likely the user.:eek:

One additional question: the time showing on my ONE is incorrect, but the option for setting the time is grayed out. Anyone know what to do about this?

Thanks very much. Looking forward to a response or two.

If I understand how it works correctly, I think all that an Itinerary is, is a set of way points, and not the actual path to which you want to travel... So, the TT is interpreting it's own path to arrive at the next assigned way point. If it is routing you in a way you do not wish to go, you will have to set way points just past an intersection, to force the TT to route you to that point. Just remember, there is a max of 48 points in an Itinerary...

:confused:
2) Why, after loading an itinerary, does it still want to analyze 1,000's of roads?

It does this because it has to plan the route relative to your location. It doesn't know that it at the first waypoint until the satellites tell it where in the world it is, then it plans the route to the first waypoint, and so on.

The TomTom will try to navigate from one waypoint to the next using it's own logic. So to get from Waypoint 1 to Waypoint 2, there are potentially many ways. This is why you are asked if you want the fastest route, etc.

The TomTom may not necessarily use the same route between waypoints that Google does. Usually, by adding more waypoints, you can force it to go the way you want.

The TomTom will try to navigate from one waypoint to the next using it's own logic. So to get from Waypoint 1 to Waypoint 2, there are potentially many ways. This is why you are asked if you want the fastest route, etc.

The TomTom may not necessarily use the same route between waypoints that Google does. Usually, by adding more waypoints, you can force it to go the way you want.
Ok, I think I'm beginnng to catch on. Actually, I found that using fewer waypoints resulted in a better (i.e. more useful, logical) itinerary. I think I just used too many waypoints.

Sure I like them... Makes me feel useful, but I don't beg for em! ;) Actually I've spread around quite a few points when someone has given out really good info, or put a lot of work into providing an answer for someone. And I've taken away points too from people who give out bad information... If you're going to try to help, and least make the help worth while - you could really mess someone up if you tell them the wrong stuff. And I don't think anyone around here wants that, do we? :)
Anyways, I hope you didn't think I meant anything bad by it... Just poking fun! (I see the smileys and stuff, so I think you took it the way I intended - but just in case... :) I don't want to offend - and sometimes the written word does not express the true meaning behind the words. Man have I been nailed by that at work a couple times... *sigh*)

(I see the smileys and stuff, so I think you took it the way I intended - but just in case... :) I don't want to offend - and sometimes the written word does not express the true meaning behind the words. Man have I been nailed by that at work a couple times... *sigh*)

I feel your pain, same here! :D

Yes, Robert. Im getting the same thing. I created a route around my way just to test this google maps to Tomtom thing. And sure enough Tomtom changed my route and left out some really fun roads. And a month ago before i even bought the Tomtom i had planned out a nearly 500 mile cycle ride through PA. Now I may either have to add in 48 waypoints, scap it and go back to old skool paper maps, or scrap my Tomtom for a Garmin and convert gmaps to a gpx file like my friend does. UGH! When is Google gonna come out with their own gps? Or when is someone gonna come out with a program that converts EXACTLY the route i plan in gmaps over to a Tomtom. OR OR... when is Tomtom gonna make some super easy to use (hint hint..gmaps) software to create a route. Easy like gmaps is easy. Just click and drag and move around. That is brilliant.:rolleyes:

You could use TYRE to change a GPX route to an ITN route.

I found that simply using turns as my waypoints that is always worked the way I wanted. If you need more waypoints, just make more routes, and load one after another. You could even make them overlap as needed, and switch to the new one.

The only thing that bugs me is when it doesn't recognize that I passed a Waypoint, and tries to route me back around....gotta watch out for that sneaky brain or you get serious cases of Deja-Vu

Ask a Question