Help! Where is the full Western Europe?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
On my GO 72O I have an old version full Western Europe map, ver 720.1803, 1.61GB.

... the map and all applications work well, but at the moment all are on the Internal Memory 2GB.

I have been able to run and install all Updates apart from the Map .. TomTom tells me that the new full Westeren Europe Map is too large for my device.

So, OK, let's add a 4GB sdHC card and try again.

GO 720 starts OK and links with TomTomHome.. and I am able to Change Device to Memory Card 4GB.

When I check for Updates I am shown the new West Europe Map of 1.8955GB but when I attempt to download I am again told 'too large for device' and am advised to 'download Zone map'.

BUT Zone maps do not include UK/Germany/Italy on same map......

Any ideas on how I can download and install the full western Europe 1.8985GB map onto my 4GB sdHC card?

Thanks in advance.

Supposedly copy the old Western_Europe map to the 4 gig card and then removing it from the internal will get you the complete map if you select sd card when you insert the card in the unit and then connect to Home.

Well, that doesn't fix it either.

I have now tried:

Having full old map reinstalled from backup onto Internal.
Copied that map onto sd(HC) card.

Tried update - 'map too large'

Tried update with zZone onto SD card - starts then fails.. 'server timed out'.

Tried with full old map on SD card, then delete same map from Internal ... Update does not recognise any map EVEN when sd card is set as device......................

From other websites it seems that this map mess is a problem for many.

TomTom !!!!!!!!!!!!!Q"WERTYHUJIKLO:

Don't find a way to get App on sd cardx..........

BUT the process started from the link (thanks) ... followed it exactly but when the copy from PC to sd card runs it keeps (3x) failing with this report (which I do not know how to correct/avoid):

ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: M:\Western_Europe\cline.dat
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1947)
0000045D
in .\portable\cfile.cpp:1947
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

But if you use EXPLORER to copy the map folder to the sdhc card, you can do it without errors?

Yes, but then for whatever reason TT Home does not work with it.

So I thought, good idea.. follow the TT link you showed me... and it still did not work.........................

Last edited:
Having just spoken with abright chap at TomTom I now know the following..........

My GO 720 (and many other TomToms) is not really able to read a 4GB card, only a 2GB card, like it's internal memory size.

So, there is now way that a Full Western Europe Map (2+GB)
will be read on a 4GB sd card.

I have now to get a 2GB card, load a Zone onto Internal, then copy it to sd card and download a second Zone onto Internal Memory.

ONLY by having 2 Zone maps can I have UK/Germany/Italy and the rest of the original EU on my TomTom.

I understand that Garmin have also maxed out on maps that are too big for their 'devices'.

WHAT A PAIN!!! and it has taken almost 2 weeks of day after day calls to TomTom. Today one nice chap says 'ah... 4GB?.. they can only read 2GB cards 100%' .. and that agrees with my experience because despite putting the old West Europe map on the 4GB sd card the TomTom could not read it .. it saw 1.7GB free space but could not read the map...

And the 2Gb 4GB story is probably the reason why I've been always getting Time Outs on downloads .... seems to make sense.

Bummer what? case closed until I get a 2GB sd card.

(Unless you, dhn, are sure that a GO 720 with 2 GB Internal memory should read a 4GB sd card OK - thanks again).

See your other thread but the fact the 720 has only 2 gigs internal does NOT mean it can't read/write to a 32 gig sdhc card.

If you have app 8.351 and it isn't recognizing your card, it's an issue with the card, not the unit.

WITH THANKS TO dhn, canderson, mikealder and other helpers on my other threads.

Finally, I now have on my TomTom GO720 a full Western Europe map downloaded, installed and running, together with cameras, traffic and the voice of dear Kate!!

Components of success:
1. a fast sdHC card (ensure the HC bit) min 4GB. I installed an 8GB sdHC Class 6 card (low cost on eBay)..

2. ensure card is formatted Fat32 not NTFS. new sdHC cards are Fat32 so do not reformat on your PC as NTFS.

?. disable Windows Firewall (and any other) maybe this was causing the constant timeout while attempting to download. BE SURE TO TURN ON FIREWALL when finished.

Components of the earlier problems:
1. Internal memory only 2GB so could not take new larger map.
2. Use of sd card rather than sdHC (beware to double check your card or what you are buying). PC formatted as NTFS not Fat32.
3. although I was able to install files onto an sd card this was not properly recognised by my Go 720. Format problem.

Amazing isn't it.. that after so much hassle and shouting by me the components of success are as simple as the components of the problem.

It's clear that not all TomTom tech info is fully up to date with type and size of memory cards. Nevertheless, TomTom support techies were always ready to try to help and these Forums provided the practical experience of owners/users who, when it comes to problem solving, have personally 'been there and done it’.

My thanks to all.

Last edited:
Further to your helpful comments on my 'US' thread I acknowledge that you must be right and I'll try a 32GB card next week.

Understood, should be at least a Class 6..............

Thanks again.

Last edited:
WITH THANKS TO dhn, canderson, mikealder and other helpers on my other threads.

Finally, I now have on my TomTom GO720 a full Western Europe map downloaded, installed and running, together with cameras, traffic and the voice of dear Kate!!

Components of success:
1. a fast sdHC card (ensure the HC bit) min 4GB. I installed an 8GB sdHC Class 6 card (low cost on eBay)..
2. disable Windows Firewall (and any other) maybe this was causing the constant timeout while attempting to download. BE SURE TO TURN ON FIREWALL when finished.

Components of the earlier problems:
1. Internal memory only 2GB so could not take new larger map.
2. Use of sd card rather than sdHC (beware to double check your card or what you are buying).
3. ensure faormat of card is FAT32 not PC formatted NTFS.
4. although I was able to install files onto an sd card this was not properly recognised by my Go 720... due to card being sd but not sdHC plus reformatted NTFS instead of original FAT32. duh!

Amazing isn't it.. that after so much hassle and shouting by me the components of success are as simple as the components of the problem.

It's clear that not all TomTom tech info is fully up to date with type and size of memory cards. Nevertheless, TomTom support techies were always ready to try to help and these Forums provided the practical experience of owners/users who, when it comes to problem solving, have personally 'been there and done it’.

My thanks to all.

Last edited:

Ask a Question