Hello and help with voices please

Started my own company and bought TomTom to get me to all the new work I am generating...!! So far so good

I bought it from an eBay company who said it had 27 celebrity voices. Then they sent me an e-mail saying follow this link to get the voices - not what I expected. Thought they would all be installed already.

As I am no brilliant techie I don't know where to start with downlaoding these voices and then getting them on my TomTom

Can anyone give advice? All the e-mail says - other than the link to their site is - "download and unzip you need to put in your voice folder on the tomtom you may have to remove some foreigh voices first as the card space is very tight"

Cheers

Started my own company and bought TomTom to get me to all the new work I am generating...!! So far so good

I bought it from an eBay company who said it had 27 celebrity voices. Then they sent me an e-mail saying follow this link to get the voices - not what I expected. Thought they would all be installed already.

As I am no brilliant techie I don't know where to start with downlaoding these voices and then getting them on my TomTom

Can anyone give advice? All the e-mail says - other than the link to their site is - "download and unzip you need to put in your voice folder on the tomtom you may have to remove some foreigh voices first as the card space is very tight"

Cheers

Hi,
Bummer that they didn't explain this more honestly to you. Not to mention the fact that they're probably giving you a link to nicked voices, but... this is basically a copy/paste operation so don't be intimidated.

You should have been given a link to a '.zip' file. In this folder are 3 files for EACH voice (example: data77.chk, data77.bmp, data77.vif) - note the extensions are different, but the names (data77) are the same. CLOSE TomTom HOME if it opens when you connect, and follow these steps:
* Plug your device into a USB port on your PC.
* Power the device on and see confirmation of connection on device screen. Wait a few seconds for device to show up as a 'drive' on your PC - if you cannot see a new drive icon - find it by opening 'My Computer'
* Open the drive and locate the directory or folder labeled 'voices'
* Copy the three files labeled 'dataXX.chk, dataXX.vif, dataXX.bmp' from downloaded 'zip' folder into 'voices' folder. You can do this by dragging them directly from the 'zip' folder into the 'voices' folder on the device. Or, you can extract the files from the zip folder on to your PC and copy/paste them in to the 'voices' folder on your device.
* Once the files are visible on your device, power it down and disconnect it from your PC. You're done!
* When you are ready to use your device, the next time you turn it on you'll see a series of steps as it processes the update. You will see the the tomtom 'logo', followed by a yellow 'progress bar'. You will see and must click 'I Agree' when this process is complete.

There is also a YouTube video here showing step-by-step instruction if you're a more visual learner. Fast forward through the first minute.

Last edited:

Ask a Question