Handsfree over line out

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920T
I just got my 920T yesterday and it rocks. I like it much better than the Garmin unit that I replaced. I have a line in kit hooked up to my in dash audio system in my car and I plug the 920 into it. The sound for nav and listening to music is great. One thing though. I have it paired with my bluetooth cell phone and have handsfree enabled. When I place or receive a call, the audio comes out of the speaker on the 920 instead of coming out of the line out an going over the car's audio system. I suspect this was done to reduce the chance for feedback but I am smart enough to adjust my gear so as to reduce the chance of such feedback. I did this with my Garmin and it worked fine. Anyone know how to send the handsfree over the line out?

Would like to know this too.

I would like to know the answer to this question too. When you find out, please post here.

Have you thought about asking TomTom support? They are very responsive.

JSB

I would like to know the answer to this question too. When you find out, please post here.

Have you thought about asking TomTom support? They are very responsive.

JSB

Yes, I called them today and the tech didn't know. I was on hold to try to get an answer and got disconnected. I will try to call them again tomorrow. Incidentally, the 910 can also connect to a bluetooth HiFi (ie, A2DP profile) device. I decided to pair the unit with a bluetooth stereo headset to see if the audio would go over it and the headset gets disconnected as soon as the call rings in. Once the call is over, the headset connects up again. I would have been willing to go to a bluetooth aux receiver to get the audio in the stereo if that's what it took but no such luck.

Update: I came across this link where they talk about the issue on the 720 http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10588. Sounds like they had to hack it. They refer to the hack for 6.x software. I am too new with the 920 to know what it runs.

Last edited:
the file crack worked great on my 910! There was no feedback or anything.
No one has figured out yet the crack for the Nav 7 firmwire.

the file crack worked great on my 910! There was no feedback or anything.
No one has figured out yet the crack for the Nav 7 firmwire.

I am going to call support and gripe tomorrow. The unit is really nice but I can't live with handsfree out of the internal speaker for long. If I turn the volume above 75% while on a handsfree call on battery, the 920 displays a battery error icon and then shuts off. If I use the cig charger then it doesn't do that. The problem is that I can't here the call in my Mustang on the freeway at that level. Seems like a silly problem to have on such a full featured Nav unit.

What's the logic there?

I'm trying to figure out what their logic is for having the handsfree audio just come from the internal speaker, while the thing is connected either via FM or line-out to the car stereo? I really like the unit, and am seriously thinking of buying one, but this is a functional design flaw, in my opinion.

I'd like to know what the outcome of your conversation with support is about this.

JSB

bump for crack for 7.2
if anyone finds it elsewhere, please do post here.
handsfree over Line out will be awesome :)

The solution should be simple

In the setup of tomtom, click on speaker and it will give you a few options for speaker outputs. This may solve your problem...i listen to my phone calls using the FM feature through car stereo. hope this helps!

Does this work?

In the setup of tomtom, click on speaker and it will give you a few options for speaker outputs. This may solve your problem...i listen to my phone calls using the FM feature through car stereo. hope this helps!

Can anyone confirm, does this work the same way over line-out?

JSB, it does not work for me. I get only two options under speaker preferences - one for instructions and the other for music. the phone calls are limited to the internal speaker.

Jazzcar, can you confirm that you see an explicit choice for transmitting phone calls over FM radio? or is it that when you choose FM radio for instructions and music, your calls are also routed through that? - that does not work for me either :(

hands free line out

I wonder if the problem is with the sound coming out of the vehicle speakers isif it would confuse the TomTom into thinking someone was talking in the car, and activate the mike?

Don

Is there any reason why the Tomtom will only connect to a select few BT devices? I have tried connecting via computer - no luck. I tried connecting to my Sony stereo that has BT - no luck. I tried a BT device that connects to the Ipod (just for the heck of it) and the Tomtom finds it and tries to connect, but then just disconnects over and over. The only thing I have been able to connect to that does Hifi audio is a set of jabra headphones and it works flawlessly. Everything supports the same things though so I'm not sure why it won't work. The whole reason I bought this unit was to connect to the car via BT and use it for nav and mp3's.

Last edited:
That sounds possible

I wonder if the problem is with the sound coming out of the vehicle speakers isif it would confuse the TomTom into thinking someone was talking in the car, and activate the mike?

Don

That's sounds possible. :confused:

JSB, it does not work for me. I get only two options under speaker preferences - one for instructions and the other for music. the phone calls are limited to the internal speaker.

Jazzcar, can you confirm that you see an explicit choice for transmitting phone calls over FM radio? or is it that when you choose FM radio for instructions and music, your calls are also routed through that? - that does not work for me either :(
I made a mistake...prior to purchasing the 920 I had a different bluetooth solution installed in my car that allowed me to listen to phone calls over my stereo and I forgot to turn that off when testing the tomtom (both transmitters were set to the same radio station). For some reason the other product didn't allow the tomtom to transfer my calls to its internal speaker.

There is no option in the tomtom menu that allows you to listen to calls using the FM transmitter. I didn't mean to confuse anybody...

This does seem somewhat odd that music and nav instructions can be heard over car stereo but phone calls can not. I'll look into this and if I can find a solution I will post it here...

A possible reason for no Line out

Maybe the reason why they dont allow Line Out on Phone conversations would be beacuse of the possible feedback from the speakers of the car going to the MIC. Where the rear speaker behind the tomtom is opposite of the MIC.

I just got my 920 for xmas. I am wondering why you guys are having so many problems with call audio. Out of the box I'm able to listen to the audio of my calls thru line out and the audio is played thru my speakers. I paired up my 920 with an AT&T 8525 and use the 920 as a hands free device. The tomtom settings for Sound Preferences are both selected for Line Out. While I was playing music I was able to dial several contacts and had magnificent quality calls with audio level perfect thru my car speakers. When the call ended, my song continued right where it left off.

Pretty sweet IMHO.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I just got my 920 for xmas. I am wondering why you guys are having so many problems with call audio. Out of the box I'm able to listen to the audio of my calls thru line out and the audio is played thru my speakers. I paired up my 920 with an AT&T 8525 and use the 920 as a hands free device. The tomtom settings for Sound Preferences are both selected for Line Out. While I was playing music I was able to dial several contacts and had magnificent quality calls with audio level perfect thru my car speakers. When the call ended, my song continued right where it left off.

Pretty sweet IMHO.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.
Bump!

Does anyone know why he can do this and the rest of us cannot? I have both my audio settings of my 920 set to line-out for music and spoken instructions, and yet still I only get the audio of my hands-free calls via the 920's built-in speaker. BobbyCor, are you sure you are getting your hands-free phone calls over your line-out connection? :confused:

Bump!

Does anyone know why he can do this and the rest of us cannot? I have both my audio settings of my 920 set to line-out for music and spoken instructions, and yet still I only get the audio of my hands-free calls via the 920's built-in speaker. BobbyCor, are you sure you are getting your hands-free phone calls over your line-out connection? :confused:

I'm positive that this is not possible on the 920, at least without a hack. You can redirect the directions and the music, separately, but not phone calls. Maybe the option for phone will come in a future update.

Ask a Question