Greece Map

IHE

TomTom Model(s)
GO730T
I have just returned from Rhodes after buying and using the Greece Map.
Map worked as expected. What wasn't expected was TomTom's tendency to route you down minor roads. In UK thats not a major issue, in Rhodes it was!!!!
What start out as tarmac'd dual carriage ways frequently and rapidly turn to gravel tracks complete with ruts and water run off trenches crossing the track. After 10 miles I had to turn back after reaching a too deep gully.
I quickly learned to "find alternative route" and stick with the major routes indicated on the most basic paper map and all was well.
Only last stray was when I left my GO730 mount on the hire car window as TOM TOM dont seem to supply the short stem mounts any more. I've now ordered a copy off ebay.

If you're going to a Greek Island it might be better to say yourself the ?39.99 and buy a paper map !:cool:

I wouldn't switch to hardcopy maps just yet. When they sell all of the street signs for scrap metal to raise cash to avoid sovereign default, you'll be glad you've got a GPS of any kind!

Seriously, DHN likely has the solution for you. While there are a few roads in this area that have since been paved and would be avoided by mistake, I have yet to see the opposite situation where an unpaved road in our area didn't show up as such on my TomTom, so somebody back at Teleatlas is doing a pretty good job of identifying those roads. Select that next time and see how it goes.

Change Preferences / Planning Preferences
a few pages in, you can select

1) Ask me when there are unpaved roads on my route
2) Always avoid unpaved roads
3) Never avoid unpaved roads

and if need be, choose 1 or 2.

Greece is a relatively new area for Tomtom, and the Greece map doesn't seem to have IQroutes yet.

Without IQroutes, Tomtom maps don't know about congestion, and often treat many large and small roads as equal. This would cause you to go down small dirt roads in areas.

After a few years, there should be enough anonymous data to install IQroutes, and mapping should get much better.

Greece Mapping

Thanks guys for the prompt response.
I checked my settings and found they were already set to notify me if the route takes unpaved roads. I think you might be right. The screen image did appear to be the same as a tarmac road and as you suggested, the Greece mapping is relatively new. I would guess at least 25% of the roads on Rhodes are tracks so I am a bit surprised it didn't flag up any "unpaved" roads.

Suppose it gives me a good reason to try another Greek Island and see if the results are the same.

P.S. New copy screen mount arrived but inferior to the Tom Tom mount.

Thanks for your helpful advice.

Ask a Question