Google Maps placemarks to TomTom

I have a large number of Google Maps placemarks I would like to convert into TomTom POIs or TomTom Favourites for my TomTom One. Any pointers?

Are these placemarks also on Google Earth? If you can get those placemarks and save them as a *.kml file, you can use POIEdit to save it as POI's on your TomTom.

Is there any way to reverse this process? I work for a tower company and would like to use the TomTom to store the lat/long of my physical location and then be able to bring it back into Google Earth later. Is this a possibility?

Thanks!

I have a large number of Google Maps placemarks I would like to convert into TomTom POIs or TomTom Favourites for my TomTom One. Any pointers?
Not an automated process, but it works:

- Go to the Google map containing the placemark.

- Right click the placemark and select "Directions from here"

- A box will appear at the upper left, to the right of the Google logo, containing lat and long of the placemark after the @ sign.

- Go to TomTom. Select "Add Favorite." Select "Latitude/Longitude." Enter the values from Google Maps. This would probably work a lot faster if you do it with TomTom HOME, switching between the Google Maps window and the TomTom HOME window, than if you do it directly with the TomTom using your fingertips!

- Go back to Google Maps. Close the directions that have started to accumulate at the left side.

- Repeat for next placemark.

Be sure you have TomTom set for decimal format lat/long. See the next post below for details.

Last edited:
Is there any way to reverse this process? I work for a tower company and would like to use the TomTom to store the lat/long of my physical location and then be able to bring it back into Google Earth later. Is this a possibility?

Thanks!

One time setting on TomTom:

- Browse Map

- Options

- Be sure that "Coodinates" is checked.

Then another one time setting:

- Change Preferences

- Show ALL menu options (if not already selected)

- Set Units

- Work your way through the choices, being sure that Lat/Long is set to "Degrees (d.d)" for compatibility with Google Earth. You have to go through all the choices, even if you don't need to adjust any of the others.

When you're at the location:

- Add Favorite

- GPS Position

- Name the favorite as desired.

When you get back to the office:

- Browse Map

- Find

- Favorites

- Select the favorite you recorded above. Lat and Long will appear at lower left. Enter it into Google Earth.

Since you're doing this for business purposes, your company ought to be able to spring for the cost of one of the upgraded versions of Google Earth that let you enter this sort of info in bulk via a spreadsheet.

Last edited:

Ask a Question