Good experience with installing SD card in XL-S

Good experience installing SD card in XL-S

Given that this process appears device specific, and that many are having problems, I thought I'd share my successful experience to install an SD card into my new XL-S:

• I bought a Kingston 2GB Secure Digital Memory Card from Amazon for $10.95. (5 MB/sec read speed and 1.5 MB/sec write speed). This is not an SDHC card.
  • I inserted the empty card in the XL-S slot. Apparently the unit defaults automatically to read only the card. Since it was empty, I got the red X error.
  • I moved the card to my laptop card reader and transferred all data from my XL-S using MS Explorer (not TT Home).
  • I then inserted the card into the (turned off) device and it started up fine, no problems at all.

Looking at the XL-S when coupled to my computer, all I see is the 2GB card, not the internal memory of the device. Likewise when I view device contents with TT Home. Therefore, I don't believe you can move just some of the data to the new card for an XL-S, unlike what I've read elsewhere on the site. I have no plans to delete the internal memory either.

Given that you cannot read both internal and card memory, this process cannot be done through TT Home.

Out on the road today I notice no differences with operation speed or accuracy. I'm good to go. Given the limited add-ons for the XL-S, I can't imagine my needing more than 2GB of storage.

I suppose YRMV, but that would be just weird...

Last edited:
Now that you've got everything working on the SD card, do what I do. Perform updates on the card, but also go back, remove the SD card and update the internal memory. That way if you ever have an issue, at least the internal memory is updated as well.

Now that you've got everything working on the SD card, do what I do. Perform updates on the card, but also go back, remove the SD card and update the internal memory. That way if you ever have an issue, at least the internal memory is updated as well.

Brilliant! Thx.

Same here :D ...My 2GB SD card has all the updates plus the Color Schemes that I have made plus my own splash screens and Car icons...But on the internal memory I also keep that up to date but no extras...No color schemes ,splash screen or car icons. By keeping the appearance different I can always tell which I'm using.....

Ask a Question