Going to Paris, France and need some recommendations

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 335S
First time over there and I would like to hear from others on nice places to stay right in Paris. I've just about decided to NOT rent a car, as I've heard from others that it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm guessing I'll need an adapter to plug my laptop into the outlet. Anything else?

I would really like to hear from anyone who has hotel recommendations (within reason, even though work will be paying!)

Thanks!

I would NOT rent a car in Paris. The Metro (subway) system there is the best in the world...

As for hotels, get the Rick Steve's guidebook to Paris. Rick has by far the best written Europe guidebooks of anyone.... in there he recommends some very nice very reasonable hotels.

www.ricksteves.com

>> I've just about decided to NOT rent a car, as I've heard from others that it's more trouble than it's worth.

If you can live with small car & stick shift, I don't see why ? They drive fast overthere though.

>> I've just about decided to NOT rent a car, as I've heard from others that it's more trouble than it's worth.

If you can live with small car & stick shift, I don't see why ? They drive fast overthere though.

No they drive well over there not like north america :rolleyes:

I'm not afraid of stick shift nor fast driving, but I've heard parking is a nightmare, and costly.

Change your $ into Euros at your bank in the USA , NEVER, EVER at the airport in FR or the money changers in FR , as the rate you will get in France will be SUPER CRAP compared.

Take loads and loads of money with you , FR is SUPER expensive on almost everything compared to what you are used to in the US.

Ref voltage , Europe is on 220/240v as oppsed to 110V , so its not only pin config where electrical outlets are concerned.Most laptop etc psu's are duel voltage these days , but always best to check your gear before you leave.

Watch where you walk on the pavements, during the three trips i have made to Paris , I was amazed to how much Dog Poo is on the streets.. you will be amazed...

Never,ever leave anything of Value in your hotel room.I know this is the rule everywhere these days,but even more so in Paris.

Last time I went to the Mulin Rouge it was FREE to get in , but $50 to get out!!

Last edited:
> I'm not afraid of stick shift nor fast driving ....

I drove in Houston and bear in mind that the roads are small...... so you must observe the code! or you'll get creamed.

Stay to the right unless passing, don't dilly dally in the left lane... Pass that car or truck then move back. The center lane is NOT a driving lane. The right hand lane is NOT an exit lane. I someone flashes their headlight (aka optic horn), it is NOT an insult nor meaning it's OK to cut them off, like flashing headlights at trucks to let them know they can move into your lane. Flashing headlights is NOT a thank you..... Speeding to overtake AND MOVE over is not speeding. It is a safety measure, soi you can get back in the right and lane.

It means, I'm behind you, traffic is light so move over so I can pass.

So drive normally, don't be self centered, think that there is always someone else who may want to go faster and pass.

Pedestrians who step off the curb AT DESIGNATED walk-ways or intersections have the right of way - unless thy have a red signal. Any pedestrian jay-walking is fair game!

"Right of Way", a totally lost concept in the US. Intersections in town do not need a stop sign unless entering a right of way road, if you are not on a designated major thoroughfare, you yield to the person on your right NO MATTER WHAT, even if you are there first.

If you need to cut across ANY traffic that is going straight (eg: you are making a left turn), you have to yeild to the traffic going straight OR turning left in front of you (right turning for the person in front). AND of course he has to yield to any pedestrian on the crosswalk. This is NOT an opportunity to weasel in front of the person with the right of way.

Oh yes, no passing on the right! That is why you flash to get the driver to move over.

Good luck...... It's all very logical, and little road rage if you follow the code. Notice I did not say the law, it's a code of driving and behavior.

Enjoy your trip. Do read up on the signs, as they are international and constant, unlike all the "creative" signing by cities, counties, and states.

Last edited:
First time over there and I would like to hear from others on nice places to stay right in Paris. I've just about decided to NOT rent a car, as I've heard from others that it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm guessing I'll need an adapter to plug my laptop into the outlet. Anything else?

I would really like to hear from anyone who has hotel recommendations (within reason, even though work will be paying!)

Thanks!
bring your good ole buddy battom with you!!!! :D

DVD Camcorder Purchase

Am looking at a Panasonic DVD D-300.

Does anyone have this model and can share impressions? Have an older analog model which would be embarrassing while cruisin' with a modern GPS device. :)

Am looking at a Panasonic DVD D-300.

Does anyone have this model and can share impressions? Have an older analog model which would be embarrassing while cruisin' with a modern GPS device. :)

does this post belong here? or am I missing something?

If you're staying in Paris don't get a car. The metro and RER stations are near anywhere you want to go. We've stayed at the Bellechasse, a small hotel a block from the Orsay and an RER station. We liked it, although all the museums were on strike at the time (Oh those funky French!). We use ATM machines for cash, which are everywhere. Check your bank to be sure it will work and what machines to look for. There is a small fee per transaction, so it's better to get as many Euros as you need with the fewest transactions. ie get the maximum your bank allows per day at one time instead of several smaller transactions. A transit card such as the carte orange will save money on transportation. Paris uses zones for fares. You can also buy books of tickets for a discount. I think zone 1 and 2 will get you to most the Paris attractions, with maybe a 3 needed for Versaille or Disneyland Paris. The carte orange used to need a small picture like you would put on a passport, I haven't checked lately. You can get from Chas Degaulle to downtown Paris easily via shuttle to an RER, it's funny how much luggage you see on the Paris metro system! Have fun.

Bob

I went last year. When are you going. I stayed at the Paris best western. It was in the middle of the city and near the subways. You can buy a subway and museum pass on expedia.com. Also you can get a very nice 3 hour tour with a personal driver. He will take you around the city and show you the sites.

Ask a Question