going from google to tomtom

Seems like it would be very useful to use google to lookup something in safari - then transfer that address to tomtom. I don't see a way to do that - anyone else know how?

You center & enlarge the spot, then click on 'Link'. Read the Lat/Long & input these into your TomTom.

Let's take an example.
1- In Google Maps search for '100 Sainte-Catherine East, Montreal, QC'.
2- Click on 'Link'
3- Use these Lat/Long in your TT: 45.510934,-73.562848
Note:
a- You might have to use the Left Arrow, then the Right one until the end because there can be several pair of coordinates shown).
b- You don't have to use E,W,N,S or '-' if the place you search is on the same continent/hemisphere as yours.
Also you don't have to change the coordinate format of your choice to match the one in Google, just use the data as is.

I know I can look up things and then write them down, then add them to TT. I was hoping for a way to link the two so something I find can be added to TT. Sorta like a phone # clicked on dials the phone. This would be a great feature

Thanks

You center & enlarge the spot, then click on 'Link'. Read the Lat/Long & input these into your TomTom.

Let's take an example.
1- In Google Maps search for '100 Sainte-Catherine East, Montreal, QC'.
2- Click on 'Link'
3- Use these Lat/Long in your TT: 45.510934,-73.562848
Note:
a- You might have to use the Left Arrow, then the Right one until the end because there can be several pair of coordinates shown).
b- You don't have to use E,W,N,S or '-' if the place you search is on the same continent/hemisphere as yours.
Also you don't have to change the coordinate format of your choice to match the one in Google, just use the data as is.

Google Maps POI or whatever to TomTom

I am surprised some very astute forum member didn't step up to describe this for me. I am not sure I am all that great at describing things like this. I assumed that everyone knows how to easily send a Google Maps POI or address etc. to their TomTom but if not, I would describe it something like this:

1. Bring up Google Maps.
2. Find a POI or the item / address that you want on your TomTom.
3. If there is a pushpin type thing then left click on it.
If there is no pushpin thing for your item then right click and select "what's here?" You should then have a pushpin or several that you can then left click on. Left click on the pushpin thing.
4. When you left click, a window should pop up with some hyperlink choices. One of the choices should be "send"
5. Click send. (This is where the magic begins!)
6. A new window will pop up - and down the left column of that new window will be several choices. One of the choices should be "GPS"
7. Select GPS and then in the right box you will see several pull down lists. In the "brand" box you will want to select TomTom (Good choice!)
8. At this point, for best results, have your TomTom on and connected to TomTom Home.
9. Click send on the Google Maps box and watch as it sends your POI to your Favorites.

This sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. After you do it about 2 times you will be able to do the whole process in about 12 seconds.

Let me know if this all makes sense and if you succeed in doing this.

Sorry you can't store it as a POI. Only a favorite. Or you can just navigate to it without storing it at all.

Best of luck - and happy Googling!

Dave

Attachments

• Google Maps Send.jpg
    Google Maps Send.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 380
HTML:
I know I can look up things and then write them down

With the GPS in front of the PC you don't have to.:)
By the way there is a 'Send' button in Google Maps, I just don't use it because it used to work only with Business POI. It looks like Google fixed it now. Give it a try - I don't because with 5 addresses or less I find that inputting by hand is not that big deal

on the iphone and in the map feature, once you "put a pin in it", you can then click on the arrow, add it to your contacts, and then in TT, navigate to contacts, select the new contact you made, and voila...a couple extra steps, but not bad...I have the voice google app, and can find things on the fly and with just a couple clicks am on my way

I am surprised some very astute forum member didn't step up to describe this for me. I am not sure I am all that great at describing things like this. I assumed that everyone knows how to easily send a Google Maps POI or address etc. to their TomTom but if not, I would describe it something like this:

Dave, thank youmy friend. Your directions were easy to follow and greatly appreciated. Thanks for thinking of those who just don't know yet!

:)

I was thinking the regular Safari Browser from your desktop PC. I was not thinking of the iPhone.
Since this is in an iPhone forum and I don't regularly look up POI's on my desktop (because I'm not at home)...

Is there a convenient way to do this on the iPhone. I mean without adding it to my contacts, which by the way, doesn't work most of the time either? Come to think of it, I've never been able to make it work navigating to a contact either. I have to manually enter the address every time I use it, which is an incredible PITA.

The built in POI database is bigger than some but it is still sorely lacking the most basic of destinations which have been there for dozens of years. I mean, the Saint Louis Arch! It doesn't have the Saint Louis Arch? Is there a more prominent POI in Saint Louis?
I've been traveling the country for about a month now and find this problem everywhere. So it's back to Google maps just to find anything, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying a GPS app.

I would love TomTom to take advantage of the fact that it is installed on a device with almost constant internet access. The Google search for POI on Navigon's app is slightly better but it's still not as good as the regular Google maps search. So when is someone going to figure it out?

Ask a Question