GO920 freezing at the start screen, acting up

I've got a GO920 that, after a recent update decided to get hosed up.

It would start and then freeze on the welcome screen. Pin resets didn't necessarily work and sometimes it would reboot and freeze on the welcome screen.

I did a complete backup via the home application, deleted the application, and restored the current version via TomTom home (including installing the latest TomTom home) as per the TomTom web site instructions.

I also did a copy/paste from the windows explorer when I was able to do it to connect to it through the computer.

My current versions are:

Home 2.7.3.1894
App for GO920 version 7.481

After reading this and various other posts decided to completely reformat the tomtom via Windows explorer and copy/paste everything back to the tomtom. It took some time, but after restarting twice 15 min after reformatting and reinstalling the maps and software it seemed to be OK.

When I turned it off and restarted it again it froze on the welcome screen (the one with TomTom Go and the Map). A 5-10 second PIN reset, it would get the tomtom logo, the white yellow screen with the software loading, and then the road image and usual TomTom Go welcome screen, and freeze.

Is this a case of the TomTom being completely messed up? Or, should I contact a friend who has a Go920 but hasn't done any updates to copy/paste his entire TomTom contents to a USB stick (with the computer disconnected from the Internet to avoid any updates) and without TomTom home installed to use it just as a separate external data drive when connecting it to his computer, and then I would use that when reformatting and reinstalling the software?

Or, are there other options I might have?

He might have a GO930, but would it make a big difference if copying and transferring his files to a reformed GO920?

The map for one unit will not work in another. No point in copying it.

What other options do I have?

When I tried it in the car today, got the animated image of the SD card coming out of the device with the X on it.

But, restarted twice when hooked up to the computer afterwards and can see it as a drive after the second time and can then access through TomTom home. If I reinstall, it will probably work once when disconnected but then will freeze on startup or start acting up again.

Is this a candidate for a repair through 3rd party repair service (any recommendations since I'll be in the US next week) or a chance to try to request an older version of the application software from TomTom since it seems to have started after a recent update?

Thanks.

Can you use Explorer to make a complete backup of your unit's contents? Don't use Home.

If so, do and then format the unit. don't use quickformat. Then restore the Explorer backup.

Can you use Explorer to make a complete backup of your unit's contents? Don't use Home.

If so, do and then format the unit. don't use quickformat. Then restore the Explorer backup.

Did that yesterday and just did it again. The re-load was successful, but it starts up with the TomTom logo screen, then the white/yellow screen with the software loading bar, then the usual splash screen with the road - and then it freezes at that screen. This happens even with a pin reset. Other times it will turn off after the splash screen with the road.

I can manage/operate the device when connected to the computer, though.

It started after the last "upgrade" earlier in November.

I'm going to try to find someone with an untouched 920 for a complete copy of the contents, but if not (or even if so) ....????

Since you do have a backup of everything, delete the loose files in the root of the unit but NO folders or their contents. Use Explorer. After doing so, connect to Home, it'll see you are missing an application and dl and install it.

After it does, use Explorer to copy back the map folders. See if that helps.

Since you do have a backup of everything, delete the loose files in the root of the unit but NO folders or their contents. Use Explorer. After doing so, connect to Home, it'll see you are missing an application and dl and install it.

After it does, use Explorer to copy back the map folders. See if that helps.

Before I do that ... just want to double check. I take it you mean all of the files (not folders) in the topmost level of the G drive, somewhat circled in the image? Or are you referring to another set of files on the device as accessed through explorer?

I just found out that my friend has the 920, too. If the above doesn't work, I'll ask him to make a backup of his using explorer or the Mac equivalent(without any recent updates) and I'll copy that to my computer. He hans't updated his in a while which might help.

Tks.

Attachments

• Gdrive.JPG
    Gdrive.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 540
That is correct. Those files. Also ensure hidden files/folders are showing before doing the backup.

As I mentioned, trying to restore someone else's map folder to your unit simply will not work. As for the other person's loose files.... no point as you can always download the application for free from TomTom's site.

That is correct. Those files. Also ensure hidden files/folders are showing before doing the backup.

As I mentioned, trying to restore someone else's map folder to your unit simply will not work. As for the other person's loose files.... no point as you can always download the application for free from TomTom's site.
Took a while to get connection to device.

My initial reply was going to be:

"Trying tonight and it's hosed for now. If I turn it on without being in the dock, it finally starts with the regular tomtom logo and then an image of the tomtom with the SD card coming out of it with a rec X. Doing a reset and plugging it into the dock and turning it on does no better - starts with a black screen, then tomtom logo, then just stays at the image of the tomtom in the dock and the computer only sees an F and G drive - no tomtom drive as before (looking at the "safely remove hardware" option shows a TomTom GO option, though) . And, the same happens after keeping it in the dock for 2 hours to hopefully charge. Tomtom home also says no device connected. Had that yesterday, but eventually was able to get it connected. (I have Windows XP, btw.)."

Tried turning it on a few times again and finally got a connection through Home and Windows Explorer. Haven't gotten the "Do you want to connect the computer prompt" ever since the update in November.

Deleted all items except folders in the Tomtom "drive". Started home and got prompted for tomtom application for go 520/720/920 along with some voices. Only installed application.

Tomtom home prompts for automatic restart to finish installation.

Get black screen with Tomtom logo. Frozen at that for several minutes. Computer says no device connected. Removed. Did pin reset. Turned back on. Back to above with black screen > tomtom logo on black background and then frozen. Pin reset. Put back in dock, waited for 20 min. Turned on and at least can see it on the computer and on Home. Don't get the "Do you want to connect to the computer" prompt, though, and goes right to the TomTom in dock image.

Did a pin reset. Plugged back into dock. Turned on > black screen for a bit > tomtom logo for a bit > then image of tomtom in dock, but connected to the computer and Home and Explorer can see it.

Is it a candidate for another reformat? An internal memory problem? Or something else? Hope this info helps.

Did you try adding a favorite under operate my go?

Also, what map version do you have? The older applications are more stable but they can't read the newest maps.

I had similar situation on my 920 and what I did to resolve it was to put the latest application on the SD card and then boot unit up with SD card rather than internal memory. The boot up will always try booting from sd card first.
That worked for me I then went in the internal drive and formated it ran clear flash memory again. I even went into comandpromt on my c drive and ran a check disk on the internal unit. I then copied the file I had put on the sd card over to the internal memory remover the sd card and rebooted the unit and all was well.

Last edited:
I had similar situation on my 920 and what I did to resolve it was to put the latest application on the SD card and then boot unit up with SD card rather than internal memory. The boot up will always try booting from sd card first.
That worked for me I then went in the internal drive and formated it ran clear flash memory again. I even went into comandpromt on my c drive and ran a check disk on the internal unit. I then copied the file I had put on the sd card over to the internal memory remover the sd card and rebooted the unit and all was well.

I think the SD route is getting somewhere.

I installed just the app onto a 2GB (that's all I have on hand right now) SD (no SDHC on hand or large size card), turned it on, and it seemed to work. When I copied it to the internal drive (formatted, etc) and added maps (US, Guam, Western-Central Europe map folders + raster folder, I think) and restarted, it still froze at the splash screen - I had already removed the SD card and put plastic "chip" that came with the Tomtom back in its place. I can use "Operate my Go" though from Home, though.

Now, if I format the internal memory and insert the SD card (minus maps), it works like it should. It takes longer when connecting to the dock, though.

I added just the Western Europe maps + road image splash screen + battery low splash screen + antitheft-shutdown splash screen to the SD. I then disconnected it from the dock and turned it on on its own. I had to set some of the preferences again, but it finally is doing what it should be doing. Hopefully, that is. Let me try tomorrow.

SO (sorry for the emphasis), what should I do now?

- looks like getting a larger SD or SDHC card, transferring the application + North America + W. and Central Europe maps to it is going to work.

- I can try reformatting the internal drive once more and copying the entire contents of the SD card to it and then removing it and seeing what happens.

- What does it look like is going on? I'm wondering if the internal drive has a fault, which has caused all of these problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Well, I'd suggest getting a 4 or 8 gig sdhc card (faster the better, class 4 minimum) from a reliable manufacturer such as SanDisk. Stay away from ebay as cards offered there often turn out to be crap made in 3rd world countries. Buy from a brick and mortar store or a reliable online site.

Copy your application to the sdhc card. The unit will boot from there. Then try putting your map folder(s) on the card. Still work? If so, try formatting internal (not quickformat) and copying the map folders to internal. Still work?

If so, remove the card and connect to Home. It should see an application is missing and offer to dl and install it. Allow it to do so.

Disconnect the unit properly from the computer (use Home's disconnect icon on the bottom right of the screen). Start it up. Is everything ok?

If so, you can move the map folders back to your card. If it still freezes, then you have the application on the card anyway and as you've seen it'll work.

If it only freezes when you add a map, but "Operate my GO works", there's a good chance that mapsettings.cfg is corrupt.

Once you add/rename a favorite in Operate my GO you should be fine, as it clears up the corruption. You probably can live with everything on the internal if you do that.

Well, I'd suggest getting a 4 or 8 gig sdhc card (faster the better, class 4 minimum) from a reliable manufacturer such as SanDisk. Stay away from ebay as cards offered there often turn out to be crap made in 3rd world countries. Buy from a brick and mortar store or a reliable online site.

Yep - you've read my mind. I'm abroad right now, but in the US this weekend and heading to Staples for the 8Gb sandisk SDHC since it's on sale. I loaded the W. Europe maps last night along with a postcodes folder and that seems to work without any problems with a blank internal drive and running only from the SD.

I'll try the other steps once I get the larger card.

Copy your application to the sdhc card. The unit will boot from there. Then try putting your map folder(s) on the card. Still work? If so, try formatting internal (not quickformat) and copying the map folders to internal. Still work?

If so, remove the card and connect to Home. It should see an application is missing and offer to dl and install it. Allow it to do so.

Disconnect the unit properly from the computer (use Home's disconnect icon on the bottom right of the screen). Start it up. Is everything ok?

If so, you can move the map folders back to your card. If it still freezes, then you have the application on the card anyway and as you've seen it'll work.

OK - got a new 8Gb PNY SDHC card - installed the app and then transferred the maps, works like a charm.

Tried accessing the internal drive to format and transfer and install files and the computer can't "see" it - with the SD card in or with the plastic insert. I can access F when the SDHC with the maps and applicantion are in it but G does is not accessible with or without the SD card. And, Home recognizes only the F drive/Sd card now. It does not ask if I want to access the internal drive or the SD card as before nor does it show a connected device when there is no SD card in it. I'll try again on my computer in a few weeks but ... as long as it works with the SD card, I'm happy (as long as it continues to work!). The internal drive must be hosed, but I'll see when I try again on my computer since I'm using someone else's while on vacation.

Tks for your help!

I have started to get this freezing of the screen on my Go 930, ver 8.351. It can happen at any time during the start up but most times after pressing the continue button. Sometimes the screen doesn't seem to completley refresh & parts of both the screen with the continue on & the normal driving window. If I hold the on/off button for about a minute or two it will shut it off. When it restarts it thinks it has just been disconnected from the computer then it restarts. Sometimes it will take a couple of attempts to get it running again. It has very rarely ever locked up when it is navigating & the problem only seems to be when it starts. Nothing I do can do can make it happen but it's really annoying.

I only have the Western Europe maps on the internal memory & the USA maps on the SD card, at the moment we are travelling in our motorhome in Portugal so it's not practical to start wiping it off & re-formatting then re-loading.

I did try the pin reset the first few times & the problem still keeps coming back, then found I could get it to turn off then on again by holding the button for about a minute. I can't find why it sometimes happens & other times it works fine:confused: I thought at one time I had to click the continue button in the first few seconds but tried turnig it on & leaving it & it didn't seem to matter.

Ask a Question